Menstrual phase of the uterine cycle every month starts with a drop in hormones. The changes that the female body undergoes during menstruation cause intestinal spasm and stool retention. These changes include:
- Endometrial rejection, filling of the uterus with blood clots and pressure of the enlarged organ on the intestines,
- Increased blood levels of prostaglandin-provoking spasm,
- Hormonally caused by a decrease in intestinal peristalsis,
- Delay in excretion of sodium and water by the kidneys, leading to the development of edema of the circulatory tissue,
- Exit from the intestinal lumen of the liquid component of the chair.
They are due to a decrease in the level of estrogen, which is manifested by increased appetite, thirst.
The fall of progesterone has a direct effect on the increase in intestinal peristalsis, this explains why an intestinal spasm and impaired bowel movement occur before menstruation. During menstruation pressure of the uterus on the digestive tract joins. Persistent stool retention after menstruation is due to a residual hormone deficiency.
Constipation during menstruation is usually spastic, combined with gas retention. Some women with a predisposition to intestinal atony, concomitant diseases of the gastrointestinal tract have atonic constipation.
Causes of constipation before menstruation and changes in diet
Problems such as abnormal gastrointestinal function and low intestinal motility during menstruation, leading to constipation, can occur when the following causes appear:
- Disruption in hormonal balance,
- Fluid accumulation in tissues
- Violation of water-salt metabolism.
Disposal of processed foods should occur daily, if this does not happen, then there is a risk of intoxication of the body. How to get rid of constipation and what to do in this situation?
First you need to know what caused constipation during menstruation.
If the diet has changed, the solution will be to change it and reject such products as:
- confectionery pastry, chocolate and other high carbohydrate foods,
- smoked meat and pickles,
- spicy and salty foods.
Increase intestinal motility and improve the work of the gastrointestinal tract, relieving a woman from constipation, the following foods:
- dried fruits in their pure form - prunes, dried apricots, rhubarb,
- compotes based on dried fruits and berries,
- linseed, olive, corn oil, which are used both independently on an empty stomach, and in the form of salad dressing,
- low-fat lactic products - yoghurts, curds, sour cream,
- baked goods from wholemeal flour,
- foods high in fiber
- plums, grapefruits, beets, as well as other vegetables and fruits with a pronounced laxative effect,
- the amount of liquid consumed per day must be at least 2.5 liters.
Hibiscus tea is also very effective for constipation during menstruation.
It is adopted as follows:
- drink 1 glass daily for 2 weeks,
- take a break for 12 days
- repeat the course of tea treatment.
Drug treatment of constipation
It is worth noting that this problem can also be caused by the hormonal imbalance of the body.
Women often face this: nutrition has remained the same, the mode of physical activity has not decreased, menstruation is close, but constipation has appeared, and it is not clear where the extra 2-3 kilograms come from.
The fact is that before menstruation the level of estrogen in the blood of a woman rises sharply, the body reacts to this by the accumulation of fluid in the tissues.
Changes in hormonal background entails deviations in the work of the intestine. Water is absorbed into its walls, feces are formed more dense.
In this case, the uterus increases in size, because of which the motor activity of the intestine becomes lower. All this ultimately leads to constipation with menstruation, sometimes quite strong.
Under such circumstances, extra kilos appear due to the accumulation of excess fluid in the body, a decrease in intestinal motility, and meteorism.
Most often, after menstruation, the hormonal balance is stabilized, the stool returns to normal, constipation stops, and the weight returns to the previous values.
Why regularly repeated constipation before menstruation should be alarming? In addition to the general poisoning of the body with stagnant feces, it can lead to hemorrhoids and anal fissures, which will have to be treated with surgical methods.
Chronic constipation can be eliminated with the help of medicines, such as various laxatives, rectal suppositories, syrups.
Suppositories, including glycerol, as well as tablets and solutions with lactulose, gently affect the intestines and are usually well tolerated.
Laxatives based on senna, rhubarb, buckthorn and other medicinal plants can be used only in a single mode, not on a permanent basis.
Specific medications should be selected by the attending physician, taking into account the peculiarities of the female organisms.
In severe cases, when no laxative drugs and changing diet are beneficial, you can put an enema.
It should be aware that this method can not be abused, the constant use of enema does not relieve the problem of constipation, and make it chronic.
Treatment of constipation before menstruation can also be carried out using alternative medicine methods.
These include the use of herbal compresses on the abdominal region of the abdomen and its massage.
However, in advanced cases, it is still not worthwhile to get involved in such methods of therapy, because with the wrong effects there is a high risk to aggravate the problems and not to help the body get rid of them.
General recommendations for constipation
Based on the above, we can offer the following recommendations to women suffering from constipation before menstruation:
- keep your weight under control. You need to weigh yourself at least once a month, on the second day after the start of menstruation. The resulting data must be recorded, after a month the weighing must be repeated. If the weight does not grow or fluctuates within one kilogram, then everything is in order,
- with mood swings during PMS, one should be aware that the constant desire to eat something tasty and harmful is not due to the body's need for this, but to hormonal changes,
- when the menstrual cycle is running out, you should not buy and eat smoked foods, sweets, marinades, alcoholic beverages,
- a healthy lifestyle and adherence to the day, as well as proper nutrition will help to cope with weakness, dizziness, nausea and constipation during menstruation.
It should be noted that for many women, menorrhagia (heavy menstruation) is characteristic, in which they lose a large amount of blood - more than 150 ml.
If a woman is on a diet, severely restricts her diet, and is also a supporter of various types of starvation, then all this can lead to an iron deficiency in the body, and, as a result, to anemia.
Constant low levels of hemoglobin in the blood can also lead to constipation, so the diet of those with heavy periods should contain foods rich in iron - this is buckwheat porridge, beef liver, and apples.
Instead of chocolate during menstruation, it is best to eat the hematogenous plate.
If constipation is observed not only before menstruation, but also on other days, then it is necessary to consult a specialist - a doctor - a gastroenterologist and a coloproctologist.
For the physiology of the female body characterized by fluctuations in the level of hormones that are associated with the menstrual cycle. In addition to menstrual bleeding, unwanted satellites may occur. One of those is constipation before menstruation. This intestinal dysfunction causes discomfort to the woman, knocks them out, and prevents them from doing their usual household chores and professional duties. The phenomenon is temporary, but one should not underestimate its importance, since it is far from being harmless.
- no bowel movement for more than two days
- feeling of fullness in the intestinal area,
- stomach ache,
- lethargy, deterioration of health.
Before menstruation, the content of the hormone estrogen in the body decreases. This causes an increase in appetite, which becomes difficult to control. Changed hormones affect the behavioral reactions of women. Every woman is familiar with the unbridled desire to eat "something such." In the course are a lot of sweets, buns, fast food and other junk food, which contributes to the formation of constipation. In a few days the weight may increase.
Before the release of blood, the body accumulates fluid, the walls of the uterus are saturated with blood, due to which it increases in size and puts pressure on the intestines. Part of the intestine is squeezed, the normal progress of the feces is disrupted.
When menstruation occurs, the natural disposal of all accumulated uterus. This is manifested in the form of discharge of blood from the vagina. After menstruation, the endometrium returns to normal.
Constipation, depending on the cause of occurrence, are divided into two types: atonic and spastic. Let us consider in more detail each of them.
Atonic constipation - intestinal dysfunction, which reduces its peristalsis. Symptoms of atonic constipation can be a feeling of overflowing the intestines, deterioration of the state of the body as a whole, loss of appetite. Symptoms of intoxication are possible. Emptying occurs once every 2 days or less. In order for the process of defecation to occur, you have to push hard. Fecal masses have a dense structure, they may contain bloody blotches.
Spastic constipation is a consequence of increased muscle tone of the intestines. Arising spasms create obstacles to the advancement of feces. A woman may complain of increased gas separation, a feeling of distention inside the abdomen. Symptoms of pain has the nature of spasm. There is a drop in body tone, a woman is constantly haunted by a feeling of fatigue.
Ways to solve the problem
Constipation associated with the menstrual cycle is a frequent phenomenon that torments many women. To help them there are several ways to eliminate this ailment, which can be used both individually and in combination.
It is desirable to normalize the mode of eating in advance. Approximately a week before menstruation and during them it is recommended to strengthen the control over the diet. Recommended products:
- Porridge on the water.
- Dairy products - kefir, yogurt, yogurt.
- Dried fruits.
- Sea Kale
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Berries, drinks from the berries.
- Vegetable oil.
- Hibiscus tea.
- Add flax seeds, bran and seed husks to salads and yogurts.
Anchoring stool products are highly undesirable, including:
- white bread, buns,
- semolina, rice cereals,
- strong tea.
It is necessary to observe drinking mode. For edema at first, it is recommended to reduce water consumption. In the absence of edema, 1.5 liters of pure water per day will help to cope with dehydration.
The problem of irregular bowel movements can be solved with medications. To eliminate the constipation of a spastic character before menstruation, antispasmodics are recommended, which relax the smooth muscles of the intestinal walls. Pharmacies offer a large selection of such drugs:
Means for atonic bowel dysfunction:
- Rectal suppositories with glycerin liquefy fecal masses. Recommended for episodic constipation.
- Suspensions with lactulose increase the amount of lactobacilli, increase muscle activity.
- Laxatives of plant origin based on buckthorn bark, rhubarb, senna, fruit extracts. Despite the natural basis of such drugs, the duration of their admission is limited, since does not exclude a negative effect on the intestinal wall.
- Enemas and microclysters. To eliminate constipation do an enema more than twice a day is not recommended.
As a prophylactic measure to normalize the intestinal microflora and maintain its efficiency, it is possible to use preparations containing bifidobacteria and lactobacilli.
Important! We must not forget that before using drugs you must carefully study the instructions and use them with caution. Do not abuse drugs, otherwise it may lead to even greater disruption of the gastrointestinal tract. If a woman is forced to use them every month, she needs to consult with a doctor.
Appeal to the doctor
If constipation before menstruation is regular, treatment should be carried out by a specialist. You can not self-medicate if a malfunction of the intestine systematically violates the usual rhythm and lifestyle.
Initially, you need an appeal to the therapist. You may need to pass the appropriate tests to measure the level of hormones and the subsequent treatment of narrow specialists - an endocrinologist or gynecologist.
To help a woman in the period of premenstrual syndrome can come folk remedies:
- 1 cup of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil stir and drink before bedtime.
- 30 g of honey and 150 ml. Aloe juice mix and use one teaspoon on an empty stomach in the morning. Means to store in the refrigerator.
- A decoction of herbs, oregano and chamomile beneficial effect on the nervous system and improves peristalsis. 2 tablespoons of the mixture of herbs put in a thermos, pour 0.5 liters. boiling water, insist 6 hours. Take after eating 150 ml.
If the body does not get rid of fecal masses daily, then self-poisoning occurs. Dealing with an existing problem and neutralizing the consequences is more difficult than preventing. Compliance with simple preventive measures will help to avoid problems with the gastrointestinal tract before and during menstruation:
- Power control from the time of ovulation should be stricter.
- Use at least 1.5 liters of water per day.
- Maintain moderate motor activity.
- Conducting the prevention of constipation with the help of traditional medicine.
- Take one tablet of Drotaverin or analogues to prevent spasm of the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract.
Constipation during the premenstrual period is a functional, temporary disorder in the digestive system. But it is worth remembering that this is not a harmless deviation from the norm. Therefore, dear girls and women, do not ignore this delicate problem and take care of yourself!
Constipation - a disease associated with the problems of evacuation of feces from the large intestine. The diagnosis is made in the absence of bowel movements for three days, with pain during emptying, when trying to straining, only gases come out, the stool is dry, has a dense structure.
Constipation occurs due to a complex of causes: malnutrition (lack of fiber), surgery on the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, psychological stress. The cause of problems in pregnant women is squeezing the intestinal loops with a growing belly. Constipation are divided into acute (occur sharply), chronic (within 2-3 months).
Constipation occurs in children, adults and the elderly. In children, problems with defecation occur in preschool age (10-30%), adolescence (due to unhealthy diet: eating sugary carbonated drinks, fatty foods, fast food).
Problems with defecation are uncomfortable for people, and can also be harmful in case of severe constipation (hemorrhoids, colitis, anal fissures occur), especially for pregnant women (before miscarriage and deep miscarriage). What to do with constipation in different people?
The adoption of oil, salt enemas. They cannot be used every day (they wash out the beneficial microflora), they are an effective remedy for intestinal problems.
Oil enemas are made on the basis of petrolatum, olive, sunflower oils. The mass is heated above 35 degrees, injected with the help of a medical pear or Esmarch’s mug into the rectum through the anus. Oil enemas relax intestinal walls, facilitate the evacuation of feces due to envelopment. This type of enema works after 12 hours - it should be done before bedtime.
If you need to urgently clean the intestine, it is recommended hypertonic salt enema. The salt solution is poured over one and a half liters of boiled warm (cold water can cause painful spasms).
Enema - ambulance for emptying (valid after 10-15 minutes), irritating the walls, dilutes the feces, facilitating their removal outside.
Drinking herbal decoctions. Buckthorn broth helps to get rid of problems with defecation: you need to take 1 tablespoon of buckthorn bark, add water to 1 cup (200 milliliters). The mixture is boiled on low heat for 30 minutes. Let it infuse for one hour in a warm place. Take on an empty stomach before breakfast and 1 glass, then 100 ml before the rest of the meal (lunch, dinner).
Proven popular homemade recipe: one tablespoon of senna grass is poured with 1 glass of water. Simmer for 20-25 minutes. Insist broth for one hour in the heat (thermos). Laxative effect occurs after 7-10 hours.
Dandelion Root provides gentle problem resolution. It is used as a choleretic agent, improves intestinal motility. Shredded roots and leaves of the plant are taken. 3 tablespoons put in half a liter of boiling water. Put in a warm place for 7-8 hours (night). It is used before meals in 15 minutes.
Adding mint leaves to hot drinks (teas) can help with intestinal problems.
Dried fruit mixes. Prunes have a strong laxative effect, so when constipation mixtures are taken with dried apricots, nuts and honey.
Physical activity will help against constipation:
- Bend down, inhale and exhale belly. Exercise is performed only in the absence of the urge to nausea, vomiting.
- Lie on your left side, gently lift the right leg bent at the knee, trying to pull to the chin. Fix the position for 2-5 minutes, roll over, do the exercise again with your left foot.
- Put your legs shoulder-width apart, gently squat for a couple of minutes, breathing deeply with your belly.
- It is necessary to do a light massage of the abdomen in the morning (lying in bed, 10 minutes).
The first three exercises are performed on the bed.
Remember that a fixed lifestyle creates good conditions for constipation.
In order to avoid repetitions of this state, in order to maintain the achieved results, it is worth accepting changes in nutrition. Constipation occurs if the body is lack of (lack of) fiber in the diet. It is not digested in the gastrointestinal tract, serves to improve the work (peristalsis) of the intestine.
- Prunes, dried apricots, dried apples.
- Topinambur roots.
It is useful to take dairy products (kefir, milk, cottage cheese, cheese) to prevent the appearance of dysbiosis. It is necessary to eat a thin slice of salted fish.
The main percentage of the diet (20%) should fall on breakfast (avoid a hearty dinner). It is important to observe the drinking regime (up to 2 liters of fluid per day).
It is not recommended to use mucous porridge, fried, fatty (mayonnaise, white bread), sweet foods. Do not take products that increase gas formation.
- Consuming coarse (causing rectal bleeding), heavy food.
- Very fast hand movements over the abdomen.
- Remove from the diet strong alcoholic beverages.
The above methods will help to cause proper stool, but in some cases, first aid should be provided by a doctor if:
- Strong acute pain (especially when emptying the intestines).
- There are bloody streaks in the feces (this indicates rectal bleeding), a lot of mucus.
- Severe constipation, which does not affect the use of laxatives.
If such symptoms appear, it is necessary to urgently consult a doctor; in extreme cases, pain can be relieved with the help of anesthetic (not antispasmodic) action (Ketorol). You can not get rid of these symptoms with enemas, to let the doctor know about the complete picture of the disease.
Quick methods in children
For quick relief from the pain of constipation, children are allowed water, oil enemas with the help of medical pears. It is possible to use drugs with a mild effect, after reading the instructions, consult a doctor (Duphalac), antispasmodics (Papaverine, Drotaverinum), prebiotics. If a child complains of severe pain, acute abdomen, it is recommended to immediately contact the clinic, to conduct tests for helminth eggs, complete blood count, endoscopy.
Solve the problem will help folk remedies with prunes (have a pleasant, sweet taste).
With a tendency to such problems, it is necessary to conduct a medical examination of the child's body (from severe constipation in the absence of proper assistance, intestinal obstruction appears), the appointment of physical procedures (massage, gymnastics) by a doctor. Unacceptable self-medication in the long absence of defecation.
Treatment of the elderly
Care should be taken during the treatment of the elderly at home. There are several drugs that effectively eliminate the problem:
- Vegaprat - pills that do not reduce the number of trace elements in the body. It is recommended to drink medicine with a glass of water.
- Normase is a mild drug that can be taken with caution and in diabetes mellitus.
- Fitolax - chewable tablets with vegetable origin. Have a mild laxative effect.
Elderly people suitable folk remedies due to the lack of chemicals.
Treatment for pregnant women
Treatment of pregnant women is complicated by hazards to the fetus. From the quick methods can not urgently do enemas, decoctions of senna and buckthorn bark. Fast methods are the use of non-toxic drugs (Duphalac, Defenorm, Normase), a mixture of prunes (and other dried fruits). Only the attending physician should decide whether to take medications in treating problems with defecation.
This problem torments many people. In case of its occurrence and for its elimination, it is worth adhering to the above methods, but in case of chronic constipation, it is recommended to consult a doctor, review lifestyle (change diet, register for sections), establish the true causes of difficulties in defecation, treat them.
Before menstruation, constipation can appear as a result of improper digestion, but this is not the main reason.
If the intestine becomes the cause, then the woman has a physiological problem and there can be malfunctions.
In this case, there is no need to panic, because you can correct the problem, but if there is a disease, you will need to be careful.
Constipation during menstruation may lead to some changes:
- A physiological change appears.
- Begin problems in nutrition.
- Diseases of the digestive tract may develop.
- Possible hemorrhoids.
In order to determine the pathology, it is necessary to diagnose it with a doctor, after which to use the necessary therapy.
If constipation occurs before menstruation, then this may be only one of the symptoms. As a rule, during constipation a woman cannot defecate for 2-3 days.
If other symptoms appear, you will need to consult a doctor to determine the cause and prescription of treatment.
Constipation may be accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Feeling of fullness.
- Decreased appetite.
To avoid constipation with menstruation, you will need to determine what caused the changes.
If the reason lies in physiology, when the hormonal background changes, then the intestinal malfunction occurs, progesterone decreases in blood and the stool is delayed.
Time to reduce the hormone drops to menstruation in a few days. In addition, if the decline is caused not only by constipation, some women may have an upset stomach with diarrhea before menstruation.
Not a gastrointestinal tract, but the uterus, which is filled with blood, can cause a certain effect on the stool. If during the monthly allocation abundant, then the failure of water and salt metabolism begins, after which the chair is broken.
The reasons described are considered the norm, but they do not appear in every woman, it all depends on personal characteristics.
Other causes of stool delay
There are other reasons that are not related to the physiology, for example, malnutrition, which provokes constipation and other changes in the digestive tract.
Some foods and foods can significantly slow down the bowels, as well as worsen digestion.
If there is constipation before the menstrual period, then the following food should be avoided:
- Exclusion from the diet of fatty foods and rich first courses.
- You can not eat muffins and sweets.
- Abandon the use of white bread in the diet, from semolina and pasta.
- Do not drink strong teas, coffee.
To avoid constipation before menstruation, you will need to adhere to the normal water balance and drink plenty of water a day.
The diet should be dominated by foods that are rich in fiber, because it can soften the feces and activates the work of the digestive tract.
Proper nutrition helps to correct the digestive tract, get rid of constipation, and also normalizes other important processes that occur during menstruation.
Often stool retention during menstruation or in front of them causes stomach and intestinal diseases. Such a manifestation is possible with colitis, ulcers, gastritis.
In case of diseases, women may have additional symptoms:
- Pain in the abdomen, which is localized to the right or left, as well as to the navel.
- Lost your appetite.
- Constipation is complemented by vomiting and nausea.
- In the stomach constantly purring, blowing.
Before menstruation, alternation of stool may occur, it may linger and loosen, with a feeling of incomplete bowel movement.
During colitis, women in the feces may have additional impurities, which should not be in a healthy body.
As a rule, in the feces can be seen:
It is the gastrointestinal tract disease that often causes constipation several days before menstruation. When stool retention is not necessary to postpone treatment to the side, because this condition causes hemorrhoids.
Although there are other factors that cause constipation. For example, with pain during bowel movements, people themselves try not to walk in need, thereby aggravating the situation.
If you endure and do not defecate for a long time, then the intestine stops giving signals, the stool becomes less frequent, the feces harden, because all the liquid begins to be absorbed by the intestines.
Additional symptoms may occur:
- Severe itching, burning near the anus.
- Pain during stool.
- Blood on toilet paper.
The described symptoms are characteristic of hemorrhoids and if it appears, then the defecation is immediately difficult.
Treatment and normalization of stool
To cure constipation, which appear before menstruation or during menstruation, it will be necessary to establish the causes and provocateurs, after which it is to eliminate them.
A lot of therapy regains proper nutrition, as well as physical activity. Such methods are well suited not only for the treatment and prevention of constipation, even during critical days.
To eliminate problems with the chair, a diet is necessarily applied in order to resume bowel function. Nutrition is adjusted and begins to be used before using medications.
The basic rules are:
- Every day, drink more water, from 2 liters per day.
- Eliminate or minimize the consumption of fatty foods, baking.
- Include in the food for every day more boiled and baked dishes.
- Eat as much as possible foods where there is fiber. These include greens, vegetables and fruits, as well as dried fruits.
- Use in the diet of dairy products.
- If a woman smokes, then you need to abandon such a habit and stop drinking alcoholic beverages.
In addition to the diet, you will need to spend more time outdoors, breathe fresh air, walk or run.
You also have to do gymnastics every morning, you can do some sports to activate the intestinal movement.
If doctors prescribe drugs, then the cause of constipation is likely to be a gastrointestinal disease. To eliminate problems and normalize stools, such drugs may be prescribed:
- Prokinetics - Motilium.
- Laxatives - Dufalak.
- Probiotics - Linex.
It is forbidden to take laxatives and other means before menstruation to normalize stools. Doctors themselves prescribe the necessary treatment, medications and their dosage, it all depends on the specific case.
Why are there constipation before menstruation?
In the period before the menstrual bleeding in the female body there are major changes under the influence of fluctuations in the hormones of estrogen and progesterone.
Phases of the menstrual cycle
Hormonal fluctuations affect not only the reproductive, but also the digestive, vegetative and cardiovascular systems, which disrupt their work and cause various unpleasant manifestations, one of which is constipation.
- Changes in water-salt balance contribute to a decrease in circulating blood volume, fluid accumulation in tissues and the appearance of edema, as a result of which water is not retained in the intestinal walls, and the feces become more dense and dry, making it difficult to go to the toilet.
During menstruation, serious hormonal changes occur in the body.
For reference: functional constipation before menstruation is different from gastrointestinal diseases in that they are temporary in nature - they develop several days before the bleeding and pass on their own after it ends.
Before menstruation constipation
How to eliminate constipation before menstruation?
If constipation before menstruation causes serious discomfort, the symptoms can be eliminated with the help of medication or folk remedies, as well as eating right, observing the daily regimen and doing light physical activity.
Treatment of constipation before menstruation
Enema is the easiest, most effective and inexpensive way to release the intestines and facilitate bowel movement. You can carry out the procedure in isolated cases - no more than 2 times a month, otherwise the intestinal microflora may be disturbed, and the activity of the digestive system will deteriorate. For an enema, an Esmarkh mug or a small pear, warm water or saline solution (a tablespoon of salt per liter of water) is necessary - herbal decoctions and infusions can also be used.
Enema is put in single cases.
The liquid should be poured into the container, lubricated with the tip of the pear or hose with petroleum jelly, then lie on the right side, bend the legs underneath and insert the tip into the anus 5-7 cm. Breathing during the procedure should be deep and calm - this will help avoid unpleasant sensations when water begins to flow into the intestines. After 10-15 minutes, the enema will begin to act and defecation will occur.
- The use on the eve of menstruation locking products,
- The errors of the diet: alcohol intake, intolerable foods, spices, smoked meats, which increase gas formation or reduce the tone of the intestinal wall,
- Excessive drinking, aggravating internal edema and pressure of the uterus on the intestinal wall,
- Diseases of the digestive tract, for example, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory diseases,
- Hormonal disruptions (violation of frequency, duration of menstruation, delayed menstruation).
The presence of constipation can be said if there is a lack of a chair for more than 2 days.
- Abdominal distention, a feeling of intestinal overflow with feces or gases,
- Decreased appetite
- Drowsiness, feeling unwell.
- Twisting abdominal pain,
- Poor well-being.
You can self-diagnose the type of constipation using antispasmodics (No-spa, Drotaverin), which women often use to reduce pain during menstruation.
Symptoms of spastic constipation after taking these drugs decrease or disappear, with atonic constipation, these drugs do not help.
What to do?
For any type of constipation before or during menstruation. stick to a lax diet. If possible, normalize diet as early as possible (5-7 days before the onset of menstruation). Recommended products are:
- Sour-milk - kefir, yogurt, yogurt,
- Dried fruits,
- Fruits and vegetables containing coarse fiber,
- Berries, berries drinks,
- Kasha from "gray" croup,
- Hibiscus tea,
- Sea kale
- Vegetable oil,
- Flax seeds, plantain seed husks.
Contraindications (fixing the chair) are:
- White bread,
- "White" cereals - semolina, rice,
- Soft fruits: bananas, pears,
- Chocolate, cocoa.
When abdominal distention, gas formation is not recommended to use the following products:
- Beans, peas, beans,
- Sweet yogurts, ryazhenka, milk,
- Carbohydrate-rich fruits and vegetables: onions, apples, pears, grapes, tomatoes,
- Buns, white bread.
Causes of constipation before menstruation
Immediately before the onset of menstruation, significant fluctuations in the levels of estrogen and progesterone occur in the blood. Actually, all clinical manifestations of PMS are associated with this factor. Hormonal fluctuations entail a whole cascade of reactions in a woman’s body that affect a number of non-sexual systems (excretory, cardiovascular, nervous, digestive, and so on).
Causes of constipation during menstruation are associated precisely with the effect of hormones on the digestive system. Here's how female sex hormones can indirectly affect the work of the gastrointestinal tract:
- First of all, fluctuations in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the blood lead to impaired water-salt metabolism, a decrease in circulating blood volume, outflow of fluid into the tissue and, as a result, to peripheral edema. Such a redistribution of fluid in the body in turn leads to the fact that the fecal masses in the large intestine become dry, dehydrated, with a lower content of mucus.
- The complex influence of the lability of the nervous system on the vegetative component also plays an important role. Scientists have shown that the nerve plexus (Meissner and Auerbach) in the intestinal walls of women have a decisive role on the activity of the motility of the alimentary tract. Therefore, during premenstrual syndrome, an excited vegetative can lead to a disorder of intestinal motility.
- Increasing the size of the uterus is important. Immediately before the onset of menstruation, the thickness of the endometrium increases several times, a lot of blood comes to the body, as a result it increases in volume. The enlarged uterus presses against the intestinal walls, thereby, firstly, reduces its motility, and secondly, narrows the lumen of the intestine and makes it difficult to advance the food lump. All this often causes constipation and bloating before menstruation.
Obviously, the digestive disorders associated with the menstrual cycle are temporary, functional. At the same time, they have several reasons and can provoke significant inconveniences for the lady. Therefore, a woman should try to either cope with this problem herself, or contact a specialist.
Breakfast: Buckwheat porridge, boiled chicken breast, weak tea or berry compote.
Dinner: Low-fat soup or broth, boiled dietary meat (rabbit, turkey), vegetable salad without onions with vegetable oil, dried fruit compote.
Afternoon tea: Green apple, sea kale salad with carrots, berry compote.
Dinner: A glass of kefir, a handful of prunes.
Methods of dealing with the problem
If a woman has problems with digestion especially before the beginning of the menstrual cycle, there is no need to contact a specialist. It is possible to cope on their own, if you follow some of the rules and recommendations. However, it is not always possible to do without the help of a doctor. To determine what to do, you need to ask yourself: are there constipations before menstruation every cycle and does the treatment help? If the disturbances are episodic and are easily stopped by medications, then symptom relief can be achieved by observing the daily regimen and nutrition. The following recommendations are helpful:
- To eat fractional, at least 4 - 5 times a day, it is desirable that the interval between meals does not exceed 3 hours.
- Exclude from the diet of spicy, smoked, salty foods, pickles, alcohol, coffee. Try to carbohydrates mainly come in the form of fiber and complex fibers instead of sugars.
- You should not limit yourself in taking the liquid, but instead of saturated teas, compotes or mineral water, it is better to drink plain water. So it will be less likely that the liquid will go into the tissue and cause the formation of edema.
- If possible, avoid stress, sleep at least 8 hours a day and more to stay in the fresh air. Well-established walking or sports of low intensity.
If compliance with these recommendations did not help get rid of dyspepsia, you can try to be treated with folk remedies. Well helps decoction of rhubarb or infusion of birch buds. In addition, nettle has a laxative effect. A decoction of its leaves should be taken 2 teaspoons 3 times a day. It additionally stimulates appetite and peristalsis.
From the means of traditional medicine, it is recommended to use Pikolax drops or glycerin candles. They do not directly affect the digestive tract, do not stimulate the intestines, but thin the fecal masses and increase the amount of intestinal mucus, which facilitates the process of defecation.
Due to the fact that in recent years a lot of research has been done and the direct influence of the emotional state on the vegetative gut nerves of the intestine has been proved (studies have been conducted on women), you can take sedatives, for example, “Fitoed” or soothing herbal infusions. This will reduce the psycho-somatic component and allow the intestines to function normally. It is especially important to maintain the nervous system before menstruation, when hormonal fluctuations in the blood can cause negative effects.
We recommend to read an article on hemorrhoids during menstruation. From it, you will learn about the causes of the disease and its symptoms, why hemorrhoids aggravate during critical days, how to alleviate the condition and whether pathology can be cured.
Summing up, it becomes clear why constipation before menstruation can be difficult to cure. This condition has many causes and is caused by hormonal changes. And to interfere with your hormonal system is dangerous and fraught with consequences. Therefore, the best solution would be to relieve the unpleasant symptoms of folk or drugs. And already if such therapy does not help, or signs of dyspepsia are aggravated, it is necessary to contact a gastroenterologist or gynecologist.
When violations of defecation can develop different pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, formed hemorrhoids. As already mentioned, intoxication also has a place to be, because of which the whole body suffers and the state of health worsens.
If you have fluctuations - then constipation with PMS, then diarrhea, perhaps, the activity of the hormonal system is broken. Either some hormones are missing, or there is a surplus. Understand the reasons should be an expert.
Faced with a delay of fecal masses, try to change the nature of food and lifestyle for a start, and only then ask the doctor for help if the measures taken did not help. The main thing is not to ignore constipation, otherwise the consequences will have to be treated for a long time.