Magnesium sulfate: powder for solution
Before proceeding to how one can clean the intestines and cope with constipation with magnesium sulfate, it is necessary to become more familiar with the basic properties of the drug. Magnesia has a number of positive properties, although all of them will depend on the form in which the medicine is applied - in powder form or with the help of injection injections.
And if everything is more or less clear with the intramuscular injection, because many people in the course of their lives encounter this, then separately it is necessary to say about the powder. It is the powder, if taken inward, can in a short time save a person from constipation.
This happens because magnesium sulfate increases the flow of water into the intestinal lumen. Because of this effect, fecal masses are diluted, increasing in volume. And already thanks to it reflexes amplify (peristalsis), and fecal masses are removed from the body.
A small part of the substance is absorbed into the blood, but very quickly excreted by the kidneys. Separately, it must be said about how quickly magnesia begins to act. Depending on how the human body reacted to the drug, the effect will be achieved either after 30 minutes or within 3 hours after ingestion. After this, the therapeutic effect lasts for 6 hours. Other important properties of magnesium sulphate powder include:
- Anticonvulsant. Quite often, ambulance doctors can inject a person with magnesia to stop involuntary muscle contraction.
- Hypotensive, that is, well reduces pressure. In addition, in parallel with this, there is also a calming effect.
- Pain killer, due to the fact that muscles relax and nerve impulses are not carried out along them with such force
- Tocolytic, that is, relaxes the uterus. This effect of magnesia is very important during pregnancy, when a woman has a high uterus tone, which is very dangerous for the fetus, as it can cause a lack of oxygen.
Magnesia is used quite widely, and despite the fact that few people know about its laxative effect, the drug is prescribed by doctors to those people who have serious problems with the intestines.
Magnesia as a laxative
Magnesia is used for a long time
Not many use magnesia as a laxative. But those who resorted to her help say that the effect is simply wonderful. Immediately I must say that to cope with constipation with the help of magnesia is fashionable only after a doctor's prescription, because not in all cases it can be used.
If you try to treat yourself, then you can only aggravate the situation. Usually, magnesia, as a laxative, is used in the following cases:
- If a person suffers from constipation for a long time, and standard laxatives do not have the desired effect.
- If a person has an acute stage of constipation, when symptoms of intoxication appear. Usually, this happens on the 4th or 5th day after the person did not go to the toilet. Such intoxication is dangerous because it spreads quickly throughout the body, a person’s condition deteriorates rapidly, and the stomach begins to hurt.
- If it is necessary to prepare before such procedures as a colonoscopy or X-ray examination, where it is important to see the condition of the organs, and not the filled intestines
- If a person undergoes surgery involving the intestines
- If you need to conduct a "blind sensing"
Also, magnesium sulfate is used in case of poisoning by metals, chemicals, as well as in any food poisoning. This is done because the main part of toxins accumulates in the intestine, and therefore, to improve the condition and to remove harmful substances as soon as possible, it is necessary to clean the intestines. Immediately after cleansing, the patient's condition can significantly improve, which indicates the effectiveness of the method.
How to apply
Magnesia can also be used as a laxative.
Magnesia as a laxative should be used as follows:
- Take a powder, about 10 to 30 grams. The amount of the drug depends on how old the patient is and how strong the constipation is.
- After that, the powder is dissolved in half a glass of warm water. Until the end, the powder will never dissolve, so the resulting mixture is like a suspension (when there are grains).
As for the time of admission, then the opinion of different specialists, and the people themselves, diverges. The only thing they have in common is that the drug should be taken before meals. One part advises to drink the mixture in the morning for an hour or two before meals, so that by this time the intestine is cleared of feces. Others say that the powder should be taken half an hour before bedtime, so that in the morning a person would go to the toilet. Still others believe that it is better to do it right after dinner, but in no case before bedtime.
In fact, there are no clear recommendations regarding the time of admission. Each person can choose for himself a more convenient time of day. The only thing to remember is that the drug is allowed to be used only once a day. Separately, it should be said about the use of magnesia in children. Some pediatricians are allowed to use it in children, then only when intestinal problems are not amenable to other treatment. In the case of children, the calculation of the amount of powder occurs according to the age of the child, that is, in 1 year - 1 gram, in 5 years - 5 grams, etc.
Before taking the powder to get rid of constipation, you should consult with a specialist.
Despite the fact that magnesia copes well with constipation, it is absolutely contraindicated to apply in the following cases:
- If appendicitis is suspected, as in this case, the inflammatory process may worsen, and time will be lost.
- If you suspect rectal bleeding, as the dilution of feces and enthusiasm will lead to increased bleeding
- Intestinal obstruction, which will require surgery
- For any symptoms of dehydration, even if it is the initial stage.
- For some diseases of the nervous system
- In renal failure, as part of magnesia still falls into the kidneys, which can not cope with its removal, and this will lead to hypermagnesemia
- During menstruation, when any muscle relaxation can lead to heavy bleeding
With caution, magnesium sulfate powder should be used during pregnancy, as it may have a negative effect on the development of the fetus.
Magnesia for the reception must be prepared according to the instructions.
It is very important to use the drug strictly as prescribed by the attending physician, as there are a number of side effects that most often appear when it is used uncontrolledly. The most common side effects include:
- Nausea, and then vomiting, which can often be stopped only by using antiemetic drugs
- Exacerbation of gastrointestinal diseases
- Increased fatigue when a person should even walk a little at a quick pace as he gets tired
- Reduced attention span
- Convulsions, since uncontrolled intake can disrupt the water-electrolyte balance
- Spasmodic pains that can be very severe
When at least one of the above side effects appear, it is urgent to stop taking magnesia and contact your doctor. Sometimes side effects may appear not because the person was taking the drug incorrectly, but simply because of such an individual perception of the main active ingredients.
Most doctors say that after application of magnesia, as a laxative, it is necessary to restore the intestinal microflora, because, along with the feces, beneficial bacteria can also be released.
Magnesium sulphate is widely used in medicine, but not all use it to relieve constipation, because there are a number of other drugs that, as it seems to consumers, can help solve this delicate problem much faster. In fact, they have the same principle of operation, the main difference is the price and duration of use.
Magnesium sulfate - with the instructions for use, you can find through video:
Indications for use
Before you start using magnesia, you should always consult a doctor.
Magnesium sulfate is recommended if:
- a person suffers from prolonged constipation, and other means do not help,
- there are signs of severe intoxication due to constipation,
- abdominal pain due to prolonged constipation
- preparation is necessary for the study of internal organs, and it is required that the intestines be empty,
- there is a strong food or other poisoning,
- surgery is performed on the intestines.
Preparing the body for cleansing
Before consuming magnesia, it is necessary to prepare the body for cleansing, namely:
- 14 days before taking the powder, all flour, rice, potatoes, bananas, food concentrates, as well as fast food products should be excluded from the diet,
- during the cleaning period do not eat meat, fish and any seafood,
- do not eat cheeses, sour cream, nuts and butter,
- eat raw vegetables and fruits, as well as cereal.
You need to drink magnesia on an empty stomach. And the first meal start not earlier than 4 hours after using the powder.
How to take magnesia
Magnesium sulfate is used for constipation orally and in the form of enemas.
Ways to use magnesia:
- Enema. It is necessary to dilute the 30% powder in water (100 ml of water and 20 g of magnesia). Inject half the solution through the anus and lie down for 20 minutes. Then empty the intestines.
- Orally Drink the contents of 1 bag of the drug, stirred in a cup of water. It is best to use the remedy in the morning, since a bowel movement after ingestion occurs in 3-4 hours.
It is permissible to use powder for babies under 6 years old, but only in the form of enemas. Children after 6 are allowed to take magnesia inside, and the dose is calculated depending on the age (1 year - 1 g of the substance). From 10 years old you can take the entire 10-gram bag.
To enhance the effect of the drug, lie on your left side and apply a heating pad to your stomach.
If fecal masses of green color are found during bowel movements, this indicates pathologies in the liver and gall bladder. If there are stones in these organs, then after taking magnesium sulfate, they can get stuck in the aisles. In this case, surgery is required.
When using the drug you need to drink as much water as possible. And after the end of the application, it is necessary to normalize the intestinal microflora with special medicines or products. Recommended "Bifiform", "Hilak Forte", fruits, vegetables, cereals and dairy products.
Cons and advantages of the drug
Magnesium sulfate is considered a safe remedy for constipation, but there are a number of nuances that you need to know. The benefits and harms of the drug are described in the table below:
laxative effect is always achieved, no exceptions
does not cause mucous inflammation
Magnesium nourishes the body, which has a good effect on the skin, hair, heart and endorphins
disrupts the body's water balance
washes away potassium and sodium
with long-term use (more than 3 months) adversely affects the condition of the kidneys and organs of the cardiovascular system
Magnesia taken from constipation enhances the effect of some drugs, namely:
- tetracycline antibiotics,
- muscle relaxants.
The tool can not be used with ointments "Hydrocortisone" and "Clindamycin", as well as with substances:
- tartaric acid
- procain hydrochloride,
- salicylic acid.
Magnesia is a very effective remedy against constipation. But before using it, you need to examine all the contraindications. This tool is applied only sporadically. In case of chronic constipation, it is necessary to look for analogues, as well as introduce more fiber in your diet.