When violations in the work of the digestive tract, caused by diseases or improper lifestyle, come to the aid enzyme preparations. They help to absorb food, reduce discomfort in the intestine. One of these drugs - festal. What is this drug, what are the indications and contraindications to its use?
1 Composition Details
Festal belongs to the group of multienzyme preparations. This means that it contains several enzymes - substances that accelerate the reaction of digestion in the gastrointestinal tract.
Festal is produced in the form of tablets or dragees in the enteric coating, which allows them to pass through the aggressive environment of the stomach and reach the small intestine, where the active ingredients are released.
- Pancreatin - 192 mg,
- hemicellulase - 50 mg,
- bovine bile extract - 20 mg.
Also in the composition of the festal there are auxiliary ingredients that form the shell, including sucrose and glucose.
Pancreatin includes pancreatic enzymes (produced by the pancreas): protease (breaks down proteins), lipase (breaks down fats) and amylase (breaks down carbohydrates, in particular, sugars). Thanks to pancreatin, the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine is improved.
Hemicellulase breaks down plant fiber, which helps to reduce gas formation in the intestine.
Bile extract has a choleretic effect, improves the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, stimulates the production of lipase by the pancreas.
2 The role of enzymes and bile
Pancreatic enzymes play a crucial role in the digestive process. Normally, they enter the duct, where they mix with the bile, into the small intestine and are directly involved in the breakdown of nutrients. Food in the small intestine is processed with a mixture of enzymes and bile, here fats are emulsified and split.
With insufficient production of bile and enzymes, digestion is disturbed: nutrients are poorly absorbed, absorption of certain products is disturbed, putrefaction and fermentation can begin in the intestine. All this can not affect the well-being of man.
A deficiency of the paeretic enzymes can occur as a symptom of pancreatic disease. Disorders in the production of bile can be both a symptom of diseases of the liver, gall bladder, stomach and intestines, and can happen in people with healthy digestive organs due to poor nutrition, sedentary lifestyle, forced immobility, for example, after injury or surgery.
The festal contains pankeatic enzymes and components of bile, which compensate for the lack of these substances when they are insufficiently produced by the body and help normalize digestion.
3 Indications for appointment
Festal is prescribed as replacement therapy for inadequate secretion of the pancreas, as well as for people with a healthy gastrointestinal tract with minor digestive disorders.
Indications for use festal:
- in diseases of the pancreas associated with insufficient production of enzymes, including dystrophic,
- after surgery and radiation therapy,
- with the loss of bile acids after cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder),
- in liver diseases: alcoholic and toxic lesions, cirrhosis,
- in violation of the circulation of bile acids due to biliary dyskinesia, malabsorption (poor absorption), dysbiosis, in old age,
- in chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: gastritis, duodenitis, cholecystitis associated with impaired production and separation of bile,
- with flatulence, diarrhea.
Festal is also indicated for people with a healthy digestive tract in the following cases:
- errors in diet,
- digestive disorders with chewing disorders, sedentary lifestyle, forced immobilization,
- before medical examinations of the abdominal organs.
Due to the properties of festal, to improve the absorption of PAS, antibiotics and sulfonamides, it is prescribed in combination with these drugs in order to make their reception more effective.
4 General recommendations and dosage
Festal taken after or during meals. It is necessary to drink it with a small amount of liquid. Drops are not chewed, since in violation of the shell, pancreatin is destroyed by gastric juice.
Do not drink pills with hot drinks.
Usually appoint 1-2 tablets 3 times a day. Increase the dose can only be agreed with the doctor.
Before examinations of the gastrointestinal tract organs, 2-3 hours prior to the procedure, festal administration is prescribed 2 tablets 2-3 times a day.
The dosage of the drug for the child is determined by the doctor.
The duration of the course depends on the evidence. For small digestive disorders, it is several days, in cases of substitution therapy, the duration of treatment may be more than a few months.
5 Significant contraindications
Festal has certain contraindications. It can not be taken when
- individual hypersensitivity to its components,
- acute pancreatitis, exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis,
- liver failure, hepatic coma and precoma,
- hyperbilirubinemia - elevated blood bilirubin,
- gallstone disease,
- mechanical (caused by blockage or squeezing of the bile ducts) jaundice,
- empyema gallbladder,
- intestinal obstruction
- addiction to diarrhea,
- children up to 3 years.
In pregnancy and cystic fibrosis, you must first consult with your doctor. In case of diabetes mellitus, festal is taken with caution because of the sucrose and glucose contained in the shell.
6 Side effects
With prolonged use in large doses or individual sensitivity side effects are possible:
- An allergic reaction to the components of the drug is manifested by sneezing, tearing, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea.
- In children, irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth and in the anus is sometimes observed.
- With prolonged use, hyperuricemia and hyperuricuria are possible.
7 Interactions with other medicines
Festal has the ability to increase or decrease the absorption of certain drugs.
Festal promotes the absorption of antibiotics, sulfonamides, para-aminosalicylic acid.
When taken simultaneously with iron preparations reduces their absorption.
Taking antacids containing calcium carbonate or magnesium hydroxide may weaken the effect of festal.
Cimetidine increases festal effectiveness.
8 Analogues of Medication
Festal is not the only drug containing pancreatin, components of bile and hemicellulase. Analogues of the festival:
If it is important the presence of pancreatin in the composition, then the following drugs are recommended:
The dignity of the latter is the ability to use it in young children.
Replace one drug with another can only be after consultation with the doctor.
The multi-enzyme preparation festal improves digestion due to the content of pancreatic enzymes, hemicellulase and bile extract. It is used to compensate for the lack of enzymes and bile acids in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as in other cases to improve the absorption of food. There are also analogues of the festal with a similar action and composition.
Description of the dosage form, composition
The drug Festal is available in the form of enteric pills. They have a white color, round shape, glossy surface. The composition of the drug includes several major active ingredients, their content in one dragee is:
- Pancreatin - 192 mg (corresponding to the content of enzymes amylase 4500 IU, lipase 6000 IU, protease 300 IU).
- Hemicellulose - 50 mg.
- Components of bile - 25 mg.
Festal pills also contain auxiliary components, including talc, glycerol, ethyl vanillin, liquid dextrose, titanium dioxide, cellafelate, castor oil, gelatin, calcium carbonate, methyl paraben, acacia gum, propyl paraben, macrogol. Festal dragees are packaged in a strip of aluminum foil in the amount of 10 pieces. The carton pack contains 2, 4, 6 or 10 strips of pills and instructions for the preparation.
Therapeutic effects, pharmacokinetics
Festal pills contain pancreatin, which contains digestive enzymes:
- Amylase - promotes the digestion of carbohydrates.
- Lipase - the main enzyme that breaks down fats in the intestine.
- Protease - an enzyme that breaks down proteins (proteins).
Also, the drug contains in its composition of bile components (bile extract, bile acids). Due to this, it allows you to restore the digestion of food, which was disturbed by a decrease in the exocrine pancreatic function, as well as in the pathology of the liver or biliary tract. Hemicellulose enzyme promotes the digestion of plant fiber. After taking the Festal dragee, the active ingredients are released in the lumen of the small intestine, where they have therapeutic effects. They are not absorbed into the systemic circulation.
Indications for use
Festal dragees are used in the treatment of various pathologies of the organs of the digestive system, accompanied by a decrease in the pancreatic exocrine function, as well as the activity of the structures of the hepatobiliary system, which includes:
- Diffuse pathology of the liver - alcoholic, toxic hepatitis (inflammation of the liver parenchyma), cirrhosis (replacement of the liver parenchyma with connective tissue).
- Significant loss of bile acids, in particular in patients after complete removal of the gallbladder (cholecystectomy).
- Violation of the neurohumoral regulation of bile formation and bile secretion in chronic pathology of the gastrointestinal organs (chronic gastritis, duodenitis, cholecystitis).
- Impaired circulation of bile acids, which is the result of biliary dyskinesia, malabsorption, dysbacteriosis.
Also, the drug is used in case of functional insufficiency of the digestion in case of consuming a significant amount of fatty foods (nutritional errors), forced long-term immobilization, with a sedentary lifestyle, and also as a means to prepare before carrying out x-ray or ultrasound examination of the digestive system organs.
A number of pathological and physiological conditions of the patient's body are identified, which are contraindications for receiving Festal pills, these include:
- Hepatitis is an acute inflammation of the liver.
- Acute inflammation of the pancreas (acute pancreatitis).
- Exacerbation of chronic inflammation of the pancreas (relapse of chronic pancreatitis).
- Development of hepatic precoma or coma.
- Hyperbilirubinemia - increased levels of bilirubin in the blood.
- Severe liver failure.
- Mechanical jaundice due to impaired outflow of bile in the hollow structures of the hepatobiliary system.
- Gallstone disease (pathology characterized by the formation of insoluble calculi).
- Empyema of the gallbladder - the formation of pus in the cavity of an organ.
- Tendency to develop diarrhea.
- Intestinal obstruction.
- Children's age up to 3 years.
With caution, the drug is used with concomitant cystic fibrosis, as well as during pregnancy. Before you start using Festal dragee, it is important to exclude the presence of contraindications.
Correct use, dosage
Festal dragees are intended for ingestion. They are taken with food, not chewed and washed down with plenty of water. For adults, the average therapeutic dosage is 1-2 tablets 3 times a day (with meals). The ability to use a higher dosage is determined by the doctor. In children, the doctor selects the dose individually. The duration of therapy depends on the indications for use of the drug. With a decrease in the functional activity of the digestive system, it can be several days, if necessary, continuous replacement therapy - up to several years. As a diagnostic preparation, the drug is administered 2 tablets 2-3 times a day, 2-3 days before the intended X-ray or ultrasound examination.
Against the background of Festal dragee taking, the development of negative pathological reactions from various organs and systems is possible:
- The digestive system - abdominal pain (often in the form of colic), nausea, diarrhea.
- Allergic reactions - a rash on the skin, itching, watery eyes, allergic rhinitis.
- Metabolism - an increase in the level of uric acid in the blood (hyperuricemia) and its increased excretion in the urine (hyperuricuria), which occur when using the drug in high dosage.
In children (especially when receiving high doses), irritation may develop in the area of the anus, as well as the oral mucosa. If there are signs of negative pathological reactions, the use of the drug should be stopped and consult a doctor.
Features of use
Before you start taking Festal pills, it is important to carefully read the instructions for the drug and pay attention to several features of the correct use of the drug. It should be used with extreme caution in patients with concomitant cystic fibrosis, as well as in pregnant and lactating women (only under strict medical indications). In children, Festal dragees are only prescribed by a doctor. While taking the drug, it is possible to enhance the absorption of some antibiotics, as well as para-aminobenzoic acid derivatives. Antacids (primarily preparations containing magnesium hydroxide) reduce the effectiveness of this drug. In the pharmacy network dragee Festal released without a doctor's prescription. The appearance of the slightest doubt regarding the correct use of the drug is an indication for consultation with a medical specialist.
Brief description of the drug "Festal"
Let's examine the original drug. This will help to understand what kind of analogs you can replace "Festal".
The drug is an enzyme agent. To determine which pathologies it helps, consider its composition.
The drug "Festal" includes 3 enzymes:
These components perfectly break down fats, carbohydrates and proteins. In addition to the above digestive enzymes, "Festal" contains bile extract, hemicellulase. Such ingredients contribute to the digestion of all components of food and coarse fibers. Thanks to them, a complete absorption of essential vitamins, soluble in fats.
The drug "Festal" not only gives the body ready enzymes, but also contributes to the revitalization of the body's own system.
Thus, the medicine provides 2 essential functions:
- Delivers the missing enzymes needed to digest food.
- Makes the pancreas function more actively.
The main indications for prescribing this medication are:
- Chronic pancreatitis, in which there is an insufficient enzymatic function of the pancreas.
- Large loss of bile acids, triggered by the removal of bile.
- Impaired chewing function caused by low mobility.
- Diffuse pathology of the liver, which is based on toxic damage or alcohol, cirrhosis.
- Violation of the circulation of bile acids as a result of narrowing of the bile ducts.
- Inadequate digestion of food, provoked by the abundant use of food or errors in nutrition.
- Disruption of the formation and secretion of bile, observed in chronic ailments of the digestive organs.
Now, knowing the mechanism of action and the main indications for using the tool, let us consider whether there is an analogue of “Festala” cheap.
The cost of this drug varies on average between 107-201 rubles.
What can replace the medicine?
There are a number of drugs related to enzyme agents that can act as an effective substitute for Festal.
However, patients who are advised to take the original medication on a regular basis need to know: despite the excellent interchangeability of medicines, it is not necessary to select an analogue without consulting the doctor. After all, most drugs that are similar in their effects, differ in composition.
Analogues of drugs are:
So, what are the cheaper alternatives to buy Festal?
This is the cheap equivalent of Festal in Russia. Its cost ranges from 16 to 61 rubles. The drug helps to improve the functional state of the gastrointestinal tract, restores digestive processes.
Medication is prescribed for:
- pancreatitis, dyspepsia, pancreathectomy, cystic fibrosis,
- non-infectious diarrhea,
- Remheld's syndrome (gastrocardiac syndrome),
- lack of digestion, provoked by the use of fatty foods, irregular meals or heavy consumption of food,
- disturbed absorption of food caused by resection of the stomach or intestinal tract.
If you need to find an analogue of "Festal" cheap, then pay attention to this tool. The cost of the drug "Pankreazim" on average is 30 rubles.
In this case, the drug is almost as effective as the original remedy. It compensates for the lack of pancreatic enzymes, provides lipolytic, proteolytic and amylolytic effects. The tool perfectly normalizes the digestive process.
The drug is recommended for use with:
- chronic pancreatitis, pancreathectomy, dyspepsia, cystic fibrosis,
- flatulence, non-infectious diarrhea,
- eating disorders (after resection of the stomach, intestines),
- need to improve food digestion,
- impaired chewing function, inactivity,
- Remheld syndrome.
This is another effective equivalent of "Festal" (cheap). The drug is available in the form of tablets, on top of the coated. This tool is intended to eliminate the deficiency of pancreatic enzymes.
The active ingredient of the drug is pancreatin.
Indications for use of this drug do not differ from those described above. In pediatric practice, the use of the drug is allowed from 3 years of age and only under the supervision of a doctor.
Pharmacologists have developed an effective type of medicine - "Gastenorm Forte". This drug has a higher concentration of the main substance - Pancreatin. Due to this, it is able to influence the gastrointestinal tract much faster, effectively blocking the problem process.
If we talk about the cost of the drug "Gastenorm", then the average price for it is 70 rubles.
Opinion of patients
So, if you think that the drug “Festal” is expensive, there is a cheaper equivalent. Reviews of patients show that many of them, of course, after consulting a doctor, perfectly selected a budget tool.
What do patients think of Pancreatin? Opinions of patients were divided. Some argue that the drug "works", others advise using it only in order to normalize digestion provoked by a nourishing meal. At the same time, all the people who used the Pancreatin pills claim that they have not encountered side effects.
Excellent reviews received means "Gastenorm." It effectively removes all negative symptoms and can have a quick effect on the body.
However, remember that picking up the drug yourself is very dangerous.