According to the anatomical structures, the lower abdominal area belongs to the digestive tract and contains the organs of the urogenital system. Pain in the left side of the abdomen - a very multifaceted symptom.
According to its localization and character, one can only have an assumption, but not complete confidence in the diagnosis. Additional examination is always required, consultations of different specialists. In medicine, a symptom is called pelvic pain.
Statistics confirming difficult diagnosis
According to statistics, when referring to hospital, patients are distributed by profiles:
- 65–90% need urological care,
- 60–70% fall into gynecology,
- about 60% go to the gastroenterological departments of hospitals,
- from 7 to 15% need the help of a traumatologist.
The total amount is not 100%, because the preliminary diagnosis is incorrect and the patient has to be transferred to another department.
What hurts in the left side
Painful sensations can appear in the left side with diseases of various organs that are located in this area.
What can hurt:
- Spleen. An enlarged spleen can cause pain in the left abdomen. With the chronic course of the disease the pain will be weak, pulling. When the spleen ruptures, the pain will be sharp and sharp.
- Small and large intestine. In inflammatory processes in the intestine, painful sensations arise that can be left to the lower abdomen.
- Urinary system. Colic left abdomen occur in chronic urolithiasis.
- Kidney. Inflammation of the kidneys is accompanied not only by pain in the lumbar region, but also by painful sensations in the lower abdomen.
- Organs of the digestive tract. Appearing in the left side of the abdomen, pain is often a symptom of diseases of the digestive tract. Temporarily, such pains can also appear when overeating, eating overly spicy and fatty foods, and abusing alcohol.
Note!In the abdominal region, most organs with the development of pathologies can cause pain of a different nature in the left abdomen. Only an inflamed appendicitis does not give to the left, this pathology is characterized only by right-side pain.
Pain occurs on the left side in the following pathologies:
- Gynecological diseases - 60-70%,
- Gastroenterology - 50-60%,
- Urological diseases - 65-90%,
- Orthopedic pathology - 7-15%.
Important!Gynecological diseases and diseases of the reproductive organs are diagnosed in 70% of patients complaining of pain arising in the lower abdomen.
Violations in the work of any of the organs that are in the peritoneum, can lead to serious consequences. Therefore, when pains in the lower abdomen occur regularly on the left side, it is advisable to consult a doctor to find out the cause and prescribe timely treatment.
Why does it hurt in the left side of the abdomen
To the pain in the left side are much more frivolous than in the right, explaining this by the fact that there is supposedly “nothing”. This is a delusion of ordinary people. Acute and aching pain in the left side of the abdomen can cause diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and urinary system, spleen, damage to the musculoskeletal system, blood vessels. In some cases, the pain occurs outside the peritoneum. Sometimes severe pain causes inflammation of the appendix of the cecum. Left-sided appendicitis is rarely diagnosed, but this possibility is taken into account during hospitalization.
Causes of pain in the left side of the lower abdomen in men
Purely "male" causes of painful sensations in the very lower abdomen on the left are: inflammation and prostate adenoma, defeat of the seminal ducts on the left, inflammation of the seed tubercle.
Men are more frivolous about their own health: they engage in risky sports, overeat, abuse alcohol. Therefore, they often have:
- Gastritis. It is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. If you take into account the anatomical structure of the body, then you can see the deviation to the left. Often caused by a violation of the food regime and overeating.
Inflammatory processes in the intestines. This group of diseases includes sigmoid diseases, polyps, diverticulitis, neoplasms of various etiologies, inflammation of the large and small intestines. Celiac disease, a disease in which gluten is no longer absorbed, is more common in male patients. Hirschsprung disease is also more common for boys. The condition is associated with congenital pathology, a violation of nerve conduction in limited areas of the large intestine. Crohn's disease is a granular inflammatory process that most often develops in the large intestine. Nonspecific ulcerative colitis in chronic course causes pathological changes in the intestinal walls.
Problems with the spleen. Inversion, twisting large vessels, full or partial, arising from increased load or due to too sudden movements. Acute enlargement of the spleen and violation of the outflow, diseases that occur when the portal vein is blocked due to blood clots, the introduction of parasites. Splenic abscess is a purulent-inflammatory process, localized in the parenchyma of the organ.
Pancreatitis. This is an inflammation of the pancreas. Acute pain in the left side of the abdomen in this case is localized at the level of the navel.
Urolithiasis disease. In men, it manifests itself much sharper due to physiological characteristics.
Degenerative-dystrophic processes and inflammation of the anatomical formations of the hip joint. This group includes arthrosis, arthritis, necrosis. When referring to a doctor, a lesion of the locomotor system is diagnosed in 9-14% of cases.
In addition, pain can cause left-sided pyelonephritis, inflammation of the kidney, pneumonia, or pleurisy with damage to the lower lobes of the lung.
Intercostal neuralgia and osteochondrosis occur due to professional activity associated with increased physical activity.
Why there is pain in the left side of the lower abdomen in women
The above pathologies may also occur in women, but it must be borne in mind that in case of painful sensations in the left side, gynecological diseases are diagnosed in 65-70% of cases.
The most common in women are:
- Unilateral adnexitis and oophoritis. This is an inflammation of the fallopian tubes or ovary. More often occur in the complex.
Neoplasms in the fallopian tube or ovary. These include cysts, polyps, tumors. Cyst formation is often associated with the menstrual cycle.
Ovary apoplexy. The rupture of ovarian tissue, which caused hemorrhage into the abdominal cavity and sometimes behind the peritoneum.
Endometriosis. The growth of the epithelium lining the uterus, beyond.
Ectopic pregnancy. This is a condition where the fertilized fertilized egg has fixed in the left fallopian tube.
Hemorrhoids are more common in women. Its causes can be pregnancy, childbirth, overweight and illiterate weight loss. Especially dangerous is the constant use of laxatives.
Traditionally, adhesive disease appears after surgery. But after inflammatory processes in the reproductive organs, adhesions arise on the tubes, they are soldered to the ureters, with the wall of the peritoneum. Discomfort becomes permanent and impairs the quality of life.
Varicose disease of the vagina and vulva often develops during pregnancy, but in 15% of cases the ailment is not associated with a “special” condition.
The main symptoms of pain in the left side of the abdomen
In acute conditions, the clinical pictures of various diseases are very similar. This is the "acute abdomen" (tension of the anterior abdominal wall), intoxication - fever, nausea. The rate of leukocytes increases in the blood count.
Additional symptoms that help differentiate diseases:
- Innervation in the perineum, lower extremity, lumbar region and rectum is more often caused by inflammation of the reproductive organs. Characteristic signs - discharge with fragments of blood or pus from the urethra and vagina. In women, the cycle is disturbed, intermenstrual bleeding occurs.
Constant discomfort and feelings of "burden" during the first weeks of ectopic pregnancy. Soreness at rupture of the fallopian tube is replaced by acute pain, characterized as "dagger". Additional symptoms - almost black discharge. If the fallopian tube breaks, surgical intervention is necessary. Apoplexy causes similar symptoms, but the discharge can be serous or with a small amount of blood. Often enough conservative therapy.
The symptoms of intestinal diseases are very similar: diarrhea or constipation, flatulence, arching sensations, nausea, vomiting. Feelings - cutting or stabbing, spasms appear. The temperature may rise.
Diseases of the spleen are dangerous because until the state becomes deadly, there is mild discomfort. Soreness increases with coughing, deep breaths, with physical exertion.
Urological diseases are diagnosed when 70-90% of patients are hospitalized. The pain in colic is so acute that men accustomed to physical pain can barely restrain their moans. Additional signs: increased urge to urinate, urinary retention or an increase in its amount. The color of the urine changes, it becomes cloudy, calculus appears in it, fragments of blood and pus in the form of flakes or filaments.
When inguinal lymphadenitis pain increases with walking, given in the back, leg.
When adhesive pain diseases are periodic. Strengthened with exercise, against the background of physical effort, with coitus in women.
When inflammation of the joints, the temperature does not rise above 37 ° C.
With varicose vulva and vagina pain pulling, aggravated by prolonged stay in the sitting position.
Laboratory tests and hardware diagnostics help to accurately diagnose.
How to treat pain in the left side of the abdomen
If the patient needs an urgent operation, then it is usually carried out in the classical way, with the help of a scalpel. With early detection of diseases and planned hospitalization, preference is given to surgical intervention using the endoscopic method. Such operations are not highly traumatic, the rehabilitation period is short, there are practically no scars. In cases where tissue samples are required for histological examination, abdominal surgery is performed. If conservative treatment is prescribed, first try to stop the pain.
Abdominal pain injections
Injections are used for severe pain in the left side of the abdomen. Medicines that enter the bloodstream immediately act much faster than pills.
Doctors ambulance or in the hospital for the rapid elimination of pain used narcotic analgesics, often Diamorphine or Tramadol. In case of oncological diseases, they are discharged to patients who are at home. More often, these drugs are prescribed to patients hospitalized with renal colic.
In addition, use of non-narcotic analgesic Analgin, antispasmodics Spazmalgon, Baralgin, Drotaverin, Papaverine hydrochloride.
Ketorolac, Denebol, Ketorol and Diclofenac - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - most often prescribed for pain in the intestines, reproductive organs and the musculoskeletal system.
After elimination of the exacerbation, patients are recommended to switch to drugs in the form of tablets.
Tablets to eliminate pain in the left side
At home, it is more convenient to use drugs in pills.
Most often used:
- Preparations of universal action, eliminating smooth muscle spasms: Baralgin, Spazmalgon, Spazgan, No-shpa, Papaverin.
Non-narcotic analgesics Paracetamol and Analgin. They are used less frequently. Both drugs inhibit prostaglandin synthesis by acting on the hypothalamus. If the pain is severe, it is better to choose a different drug.
The possibility of using the following pharmaceutical preparations is determined on the basis of the clinical picture. If vomiting is an additional symptom, metoclopramide is prescribed. If the pain in the lower abdomen on the left is due to partial intestinal obstruction or increased flatulence, Reglan and Espumizan are prescribed.
If diarrhea has provoked painful spasms, use drugs with loperamide. For example, Lopedium, Stoperan and the like. Congestion eliminate Mebeverin, Riabal, Fenibaberan.
Candles against pain in the left side of the abdomen
Suppositories are preferable to use in the treatment of children, to eliminate pain in the reproductive organs and urinary system.
In the form of suppositories produced: Voltaren, Flamaks, Movalis, Indometacin, Diclofenac. Recommendations for use are the same as when using tablets.
Antispasmodic suppositories are candles with papaverine hydrochloride and No-X-sha. Papaverine is rapidly absorbed and eliminates smooth muscle spasms. But-X-sha eliminates intestinal spasms, quickly removes urinary retention, relieves menstruation.
Rofecoxib is used for bone and muscle pain.
For hemorrhoids, prostatitis, adnexitis and painful periods, suppositories are prescribed, the active substance in which belladonna extract.
Warming up pain in the left abdomen
Before relieving pain with heat treatments, make sure there is no inflammation.
- When urine retention, a warm heating pad is applied to the perineum, or they sit over hot water.
With a sudden renal colic caused by the movement of sand or stones along the ureter, they sit in a hot bath. The duration of the procedure is no more than 15 minutes.
At high temperatures, warming up is not used.
Folk remedies for pain in the left abdomen
Traditional medicine offers many tools that stop intestinal spasms.
Medicines made according to the following recipes, quickly eliminate flatulence and stagnation:
- Melissa Broth with Cumin. Brew a glass of boiling water with a tablespoon of a mixture of dried lemon balm and cumin seeds (1: 1 ratio). Insist 15 minutes, drink during meals.
Cinnamon with lemon juice. In 0.5 liters of boiling water pour 1/3 teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of lemon peel and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.Boil for 1 minute. Honey is added to taste. If the bowel disorder is associated with increased acidity, do not use the tool.
Oak bark decoction. Spasms caused by diarrhea, eliminated with the help of a decoction of oak bark. 1/2 tablespoon of bio-raw material is boiled for 10 minutes in 300 ml of boiling water and infused for 10 minutes.
Tincture of anise with cumin or coriander. Eliminates spasms in the large intestine. The ingredients are mixed in equal quantities, pour 1 teaspoon of boiling water, insist hour.
Tincture of motherwort, yarrow and peppermint. It helps from pain with adnexitis, menstruation and calliculitis. Dry herbs are mixed in equal amounts and brewed 1 tablespoon of 0.5 liters of water. Insist 15 minutes.
Funds from the arsenal of traditional medicine is used only when the diagnosis is known.
Recommendations for clinical nutrition
To eliminate the pain in the left abdomen, changing the nature of power, it is impossible. But knowing your "weak points", the deterioration can be prevented.
Recommendations for stabilization:
- GI Pain. It is necessary to relieve the intestines in order to reduce the innervation from the inflamed organ. The volume of intestinal gases will decrease, there will be no discomfort.
Menstrual pain. Reducing the amount of gas-forming products will help eliminate pain.
When pains in the intestine refuse products that irritate the mucous. This group includes fatty foods, rich broths, all spicy and sour. Products are steamed, boiled and stewed. Fermented milk products and cereals help to normalize the bowels: oatmeal, buckwheat, barley and wheat. When diarrhea go on fig. The load on the intestines is eliminated with the help of fractional nutrition (the number of meals can be increased up to 5-6 times a day) and thorough grinding of the ingredients of the dishes.
What to do if the stomach hurts in the left side - look at the video:
What organs are located in the lower left corner of the abdomen?
On the left lower abdomen, organs of different systems are localized. Digestion includes: small intestine - loops of the jejunum, part of the descending part of the colon, and sigmoid - of the large intestine. To the organs of the urogenital system: the left half of the uterus, the left appendage with the ovary and fallopian tube in women, the ureter and part of the bladder.
We must not forget that pain on the left side of the lower abdomen can cause abnormalities in the pelvic skeleton, hip joint, lymph nodes, nerve bundles and blood vessels, radiating down in diseases of the spleen, left kidney.
How is the pain?
The causes of pain syndrome on the mechanism of formation are different in the parenchymal and hollow organs. Dense organs (spleen, uterus, kidney) are covered with a protective capsule. It contains painful nerve endings that respond to any damage.
In hollow organs (intestine, ureter), pain is formed by stretching the muscle wall, if the damage reaches the level of the submucosal and muscular layer. The mucosa itself does not have the ability to cause pain, because it does not have special receptors.
Pathological processes leading to pain in the lower abdomen can be:
- dystrophy of an organ or wall due to impaired metabolism at the cellular level,
- local circulation impairment,
- functional or organic malfunction of the internal organs.
Physiologists distinguish 3 stages in the development of pain syndrome:
- I - aching sensations appear in the focus, they are not determined by the patient as painful,
- II - the formation of reflected pain, possible loss of communication with the true cause,
- III - expansion and deepening of pathological disorders, increased pain impulse from the site of injury.
We consider the options for pain in the left side and lower abdomen, depending on the possible pathology of organs.
Causes of pain and illness
In women, the stomach on the left side hurts most often due to the development of abnormalities of the reproductive organs, therefore, the weaker sex should be especially careful when a similar symptom appears.
Why does the stomach hurt women on the left:
- Inflammation of the fallopian tubes. The disease causes the following symptoms: sharp pain in the groin left and right in the lower abdomen, discharge with an unpleasant odor from the vagina, painful periods, fever.
- Endometriosis. Epithelial cells grow outside the uterus, causing pain. The menstrual cycle is disturbed.
- Ovarian cyst. Causes severe pain, while increasing temperature indicators.
- Ovary rupture. There is a sharp, intolerable pain below. The woman feels attacks of tachycardia, the pressure is greatly reduced, the skin abruptly turn pale.
- Ectopic pregnancy. This pathology occurs at a period of 6-10 weeks of pregnancy. The pains are aching, cramping, can spread to the anus. Additional symptoms: pain during urination, clouding of consciousness, uterine bleeding, low blood pressure, pallor of the skin.
- Menstruation. With menstruation, a woman often has a stomach ache below - this is a very common phenomenon, which goes by itself in a couple of days. It is worth sounding the alarm only if the painful periods are accompanied by unusual or strongly smelling vaginal discharge. Such signs may indicate the presence of infection in the genitals or the presence of inflammation in the reproductive organs.
Important!With sharp pains that flow from left to right in the lower abdomen, ectopic pregnancy is usually diagnosed. This is a reason for immediate treatment to the doctor.
For pains that occur in the lower abdomen, it is advisable for a woman to visit the gynecological office, but if the doctor does not confirm the presence of the pathology, then it is necessary to make an examination of the spleen and intestines, the pathologies of which can also cause similar symptoms.
Other diseases that can cause abdominal pain in women:
- Spleen dysfunction. Pathologies of the spleen usually begin with the appearance of dull pain in the hypochondrium, which gradually spreads to the lower abdomen. At the same time the temperature rises, breaths become difficult and painful. When the spleen twists, the pains become sharp and stabbing.
- Diseases of the colon and small intestine: irritable bowel syndrome, intestinal obstruction, cancer pathology, ulcerative colitis, intestinal ulcers.
- Kidney. When inflammation of the urinary system often hurts the abdomen at the bottom, sometimes pain radiating to the lower back.
If the woman’s right side hurts, this indicates the same diseases as with left-sided pains.
Types of pain and associated symptoms
By the way pain manifests itself, and what symptoms accompany it, you can roughly determine the cause of the pain.
Aching dull pain in left abdomen. Women with gynecological problems often complain about such sensations. Pain usually occurs during sex, menstrual disorders, with the development of inflammation in the genitals. With pathologies of the reproductive organs, usually there is an increase in temperature, fatigue, weakness. Dull pain can also accompany pathologies such as varicose veins, hemorrhoids, acute inflammation of the bladder, left-sided inflammation of the lymph nodes.
Pains of a pulling nature. Can occur with purulent inflammations of the pelvis, painful sensations are characterized by low intensity and a long course. In oncology, nagging pains usually increase with time and are accompanied by vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and an increase in lymph nodes.
Pains of a pulling nature often occur with purulent inflammations in the pelvis.
Sharp pains. May occur with inflammation or rupture of the ligaments, acute expansion of the bladder, rupture of the ovaries.
Stitching pains. In diseases of the intestines and kidneys, colic occurs in the lower abdomen. Stitching and shooting pain is a dangerous symptom that may indicate an ovarian cyst rupture.
Abdominal pain is not the main symptom, but is accompanied by serious pathologies in the internal organs. Painful sensations in diseases are accompanied by other symptoms that help to determine the main cause of pain:
- Temperature. An increase in temperature indices is accompanied by infectious pathologies and inflammatory processes in the organs of the small pelvis, urogenital system and intestines.
- Vomiting and nausea. Concomitant gastrointestinal tract pathology, characterized by pancreatitis and cholecystitis.
- Turbidity of urine and pain when urinating. Arise along with pain in diseases of the genitourinary system.
- Vaginal discharge incomprehensible nature. Indicate the presence of genital infections.
Pain on the left side during menstruation or in the period of ovulation in the lower abdomen are not the cause of pathology and disappear by themselves within a few days.
What to do with pain in the side
The appearance of pain in the lower abdomen on the left of a woman can serve as a signal of the development of serious pathologies in the body. Therefore, you should not limit yourself to taking an anesthetic medication - this will only relieve pain for a while, but will not eliminate the cause of its appearance, and in some cases even harm.
How to act in the event of pain:
- Take the most comfortable position to ease the soreness.
- Before the arrival of the doctor to remember all the accompanying pain symptoms.
- An ambulance should be called in the event of a sharp intense pain that does not go away for more than an hour and if the pain is accompanied by persistent vomiting, a sharp rise in temperature, diarrhea.
- If after 2-3 days the pain in the side does not disappear, it is advisable for the woman to visit a gynecologist. In the absence of pathology of the reproductive organs, it is possible to visit an infectious disease specialist, a gastroenterologist, a surgeon.
- Do not take painkillers - this can make it difficult to make an accurate diagnosis.
Even if the pains in the side are not strong, but they appear regularly - this is a reason to visit a doctor in order to prevent the development of serious pathologies in time.
What pains characterize diseases of the small intestine?
Diseases of the small intestine affect all departments, cause severe pain with a cutting tinge, of the stitching type. Accompanied by a violation of absorption capacity, frequent loose stools, loss of fluid and electrolytes, vitamins, protein.
A small segment of the loops of the jejunum lies on the left side of the abdomen. With infectious enteritis and gastroenteritis, inflammation is accompanied by complaints from patients that “the lower abdomen hurts”.
Symptoms of the disease can not be separated from signs of gastritis (inflammation of the stomach). The temperature rises, nausea appears, vomiting is possible, pains migrate from the epigastrium to the center of the abdomen. There is a lot of mucus in the stool, undigested food particles, there may be blood impurities.
The essence of pathological disorders is reduced to the inability of the mucous membrane to absorb certain products (for example, fruits, milk). The main symptom is rapid fluid stools with the release of fat.
The gut is bursting with gas, so the pain in the left lower abdomen and in the side is cramping in nature, inconstant, and can cause seizures. After emptying the bowels or taking drugs with an antispasmodic effect, the pain subsides. At the same time, patients complain of rumbling, bloating, taste in the mouth.
The disease is detected in children in the infant period during the transition to nutritional mixtures, the introduction of food additives. It turns out that the child does not tolerate gluten (vegetable protein of cereals). Clinically manifested by abdominal pain, diarrhea, weight loss, the development of rickets.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
The cause of the disease remains unclear. It is associated with stress, hormonal disorders. More often women of middle age suffer. It is established that the aggravation develops on the background of menstruation.
The disease is chronic, manifested by pain in the abdomen on the left, bloating, a violation of the chair (constipation alternating with diarrhea). An important feature is considered - the absence of any morphological disorders in the intestine. The sharp pain in the left side is provoked by agitations, the intake of fried or smoked meat dishes.
Nonspecific ulcerative colitis
The disease is caused by disorders of an autoimmune nature or is inherited.
According to the principle of localization distinguish non-specific inflammation:
- only rectum (proctitis),
- sigmoid and straight (proctosigmoiditis),
- left division (left-sided colitis),
- with damage to the colon all over (total colitis).
In 18–30% of patients, the process reaches the ileum and appendix (ileocolitis). The intestinal walls have morphological changes, histologically they are located only in the mucous and submucous layer. Ulcers are more often found in the sigmoid and rectum. There is a tendency to rebirth into a malignant neoplasm.
Clinically, patients with an exacerbation manifest a sharp pain in the lower abdomen on the left, paroxysmal in nature. Accompanying symptoms are joint pain, fever, diarrhea with blood and pus. In the treatment using antimicrobial agents, antihistamines, corticosteroids.
Diverticula are sacculate formations from the intestinal wall. They bulge outwards, interfere with peristaltic waves. More often observed in old age. In the presence of dense fecal stones and inflammation, the patient has a pulsating pain in the left side of the abdomen. At the same time, constipation and black feces due to bleeding. The disease is only treated surgically.
Atonia of the large intestine can cause chronic inflammatory processes, polyps, neurological problems. The main violation is the lack of proper regulation of peristalsis, loss of ability to reduce and transport the contents.
Often observed in old age. The main symptom is prolonged constipation, abdominal distention, dull pains of arching nature. Fermentation processes cause increased gas formation, and the accumulation of gases in the descending gut is manifested by constant aching pain in the left side.
Colorectal cancer - a malignant neoplasm of epithelial cells, located in the colon and rectum. In the Russian Federation, among malignant tumors in men, it ranks third in frequency, in women - in fourth.
The disease is asymptomatic for a long time. Signs begin with increased fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal distention, sudden vomiting, taste in the mouth, belching, feelings of heaviness in the upper floor of the abdomen.
At first it hurts only to the left, in the place where the tumor is located. Then the intensity increases and the pain spreads throughout the abdomen. When hardware examination of the intestine, it becomes clear why the left side and lower abdominal area hurts.
What is in the left side of the abdomen
The left side includes the thoracic and abdominal regions. The conditional distinction between the sternum and the peritoneum is carried out along the diaphragm - one of the largest human muscles. Above the diaphragm is the chest.Below is the abdominal cavity with the organs of digestion, excretion, reproduction.
Pain and heaviness in the left side - a sign of internal pathology.
Any discomfort, nagging and soreness are formed during internal pathology. It is possible to understand which organ has failed and what measures must be taken to treat it, by the nature of the pain. What you are experiencing - a strong stabbing pain, or a pulling-aching sensation, or a slight tearing, discomfort. Consider the possible pathologies of internal organs, and what kind of pain is formed.
Why hurts the left side of the abdomen
What organs are located in the stomach on the left?
- Digestive - stomach, pancreas.
- Excretory - kidney.
- Sexual - in women, the ovaries and appendages.
- Immune - spleen.
Each can cause pain. Here is a description of the diseases that form pain in the left side of the abdomen.
Pain in the digestive organs - painful areas
On the left are unique digestive organs. Stomach and pancreas (digestive enzymes depot). Each of them has no paired neighbor (there are two kidneys, and one stomach or pancreas). Failure or failure of one of them poses a serious threat to human life and health. What to do, how to determine which of the listed organs is sick?
The stomach is a hollow organ, a cavity with two holes. Here is the main digestion of food. Complex proteins and carbohydrates are broken down into simple protein and carbohydrate compounds. At the same time initiators of digestion are aggressive substances. They are able to dissolve the walls of the stomach itself (under certain conditions and circumstances).
For the correct diagnosis and treatment choice, it is important to know where, how, and, most importantly, when it hurts?
- Gastric pain is often felt in the fourth intercostal space. Simply put - it hurts above the navel on the left, under the ribs. If it is chronic gastritis (inflammation of the mucous epithelium lining the stomach, on the background of increased or decreased acidity), then there are occasional weak pain. There is a feeling that “pulls” the left side. And with low acidity - a feeling of heaviness, distention (the food in the stomach is not digested enough, becomes a source of rotting and toxins). With gastritis, soreness appears immediately after a meal.
- Dull pain in the left side is characteristic of an ulcer. It makes itself known in the upper part of the undercoat space, almost under the heart. If the diet is broken, the fact that it is impossible to eat with gastritis is eaten, the stomach walls and the surface of the ulcer are irritated. In humans, the left side of the ribs under the ribs. Pain in a stomach ulcer forms one to one and a half hours after taking a meal. The time of pain is determined by the type of food. Food with coarse dietary fibers (these are vegetables, fruits), black bread gives discomfort in an hour. If this is the so-called buffer food (boiled meat, milk), then the pain in the left side under the ribs in the front occurs later, after an hour and a half.
- For comparison and differential diagnosis. The duodenal ulcer is felt more strongly than the stomach ulcer, and is formed later - one and a half, two hours after eating. If the ulcer was formed in the duodenum - it will hurt on the lower edge of the left hypochondrium.
- When perforation or perforation of an ulcer in the stomach or in the duodenum, severe acute pain in the left side appears. Feelings are so strong that a painful shock is formed in a person.
The next unique human organ is the pancreas. It is an organ of digestion and the endocrine system. It is located close to the stomach and duodenum, at the level of the upper lumbar vertebrae (this is slightly above the navel). Part of the pancreas (the so-called tail) falls into the right side of the torso. However, the main sections (head and body) are located to the left of the umbilical ring.
The pancreas secretes pancreatic juice with enzymes to digest food. With its inflammation (pancreatitis), the enzymes are activated before the prescribed time and begin to "digest" the pancreas itself. There is pain in the left side at the waist, to the left of the navel. Sometimes it also hurts the left side under the ribs. The peculiarity of pancreatic pain is persistent nausea, strong and prolonged, inability to absorb food (expressed in a change in the consistency and color of feces). Another feature of pancreatitis is that pains slightly subside after eating (unlike stomach ulcers, in which pains after eating increase).
With prolonged inflammation (chronic pancreatitis), the pancreas increases in size. Then a sharp pain in the left side spreads in all directions - the left side of the abdomen hurts, as well as the area below the solar plexus, around the umbilical ring. Strong acute pancreatitis can even give to the scapula and shoulder.
Thick and small intestine
The intestine consists of several sections. On the left is the descending colon and sigmoid colon. When the left side is hurting below - perhaps the accumulation of feces in the sigmoid. If it is a descending section of the large intestine, pains are possible at the waist level and below.
In any case, with intestinal inflammations, the left flank aches 2-3 hours after eating. Diet helps to prevent discomfort. The human intestine provides absorption of nutrients. At disturbance of the assimilation process, not only the aching pain in the left side is formed. Disturbed digestion and absorption of food. With any amount of food eaten, a person is undernourished, starving.
Also, pain in the left side of the abdomen in women is formed by inflammation of the left appendage, the ovary.
Pain in the left kidney - lumbar zone
Kidney pain is more often felt in the lumbar region. But it is also possible their distribution in the lower abdomen. Lower back pain in the left side of the renal etiology causes a spasm of muscle fibers. Therefore, the pain can be eased with a warm bath, a light massage.
In addition, renal pathology is accompanied by additional symptoms, which can be used for differential diagnosis:
- The urge to urinate is increasing.
- When urinating - there is discomfort, burning during emptying.
- There are swelling in the legs and arms (the kidneys do not cope with the load).
The presence of these symptoms can be judged on the reasons why the aching in the left side - due to a diseased kidney or for another reason.
Inflammation of the appendage - hurts in the left side of the abdomen
Gynecological pains are formed exclusively in the lower abdomen, above the pubic bone. Often, gynecology is confused with intestinal pain (they accompany dysbacteriosis, various digestive disorders), and sometimes - viral infections, influenza.
The pain in the left side below is characteristic of the following gynecological problems:
- Ectopic pregnancy is a pathology that can only be solved surgically. The earlier an incorrect attachment of a fertilized egg is detected, the better the prognosis of treatment. With such a pregnancy, small pains appear that quickly grow and become strong. Begins to give in the crotch and back. The condition of the woman worsens with each passing hour, as with appendicitis.
- When inflammation of the left ovary or appendage - there is a pulling pain in the left side.
When gynecology does not necessarily hurt the left side in the lower abdomen of a woman. It sometimes gives the lower back, pulls the lower back. In this case, whining and pulling the left side behind, below the waist.
Spleen hurts - pain on left side of ribs
Spleen - is an immune organ. It is responsible for the functioning of the immune system and performs several important functions. It controls the activity of bacteria, synthesizes immune bodies, stores iron, removes dead cells from the bloodstream. During inflammation, the spleen increases in size and presses on neighboring organs (stomach, small and duodenum), causing pain.
Pain syndrome in an inflamed spleen is felt under the ribs, from the left side of the abdomen. In addition, he irrigates (spreads) along the back upwards - to the shoulder blade and the left clavicle. Thus, the main symptom of splenic pains is their vastness, spread to the upper back. The left side from a back and the scapular and clavicular areas adjacent to it hurts.
The nature of the pain is determined by its cause. With a traumatic rupture, the pain is strong, sharp, accompanied by the appearance of bruises on the body. If there is inflammation or blood supply is disturbed - the pain is chronic, aching.
Pain in the left side during pregnancy
Short-term weak pain occur on any months of pregnancy. Most often they are formed in the second and third trimester, when the size of the uterus increases several dozen times. Why does the left side hurt during pregnancy?
The growth of the uterus is accompanied by stretching of the ligaments. This causes some discomfort and pain. Pulls in the left side, there is pain over the pubis. Discomfort also appears with sudden movements, with a strong sneeze or cough.
Such pain does not carry any danger, it is easy to remove complete relaxation. If you take a warm bath, discomfort sensations noticeably weaken, disappear.
However, in this case, it is still necessary to consult with a specialist, at least for your own comfort.
Pain in the left side in men
If we talk about a purely male diagnosis, then left-sided pain is the result of inflammation of the urinary organs.
What can be clarified during the examination:
- Cystitis - inflammation of the bladder.
- Prostatitis - inflammation of the prostate gland.
- Urolithiasis disease.
What does the character of the pain mean?
According to the peculiarities of painful sensations (they are described in words - pulling, jerking, aching, cutting, as well as weak or strong, pulsating or even) one can judge about the stage of the pathological process. To determine how urgently needed medical intervention, it is necessary to analyze how the left side hurts?
- Dull pain is characteristic of the chronic process of inflammation. It feels like not strong, you can forget about it for a while, not to notice. However, if the process continues, an aggravation occurs, in which the pain becomes more noticeable, stronger.
- Tingling sensation is characteristic of impaired blood circulation. When the inflamed organ increases and squeezes the surrounding tissue, the normal blood flow is disrupted. In addition, the inflamed tissue swells, which is also the cause of the violation of their blood supply. So there is a periodic feeling, in which it calls in the left side. Tingling sensations are replaced by numbness, when in a place of recent discomfort sensitivity decreases.
- Pulsation is characteristic of purulent processes. If pulsating pains in the stomach are pulsating, a visit to the doctor is necessary.
- Severe pains (pressing, cutting, stabbing, and others) accompany acute processes. They may be due to internal injury. Important: in case of severe pain, it is better to first see a doctor, and after - to take painkillers. The doctor should see the full picture of the disease, its bright symptoms. This will provide accurate diagnostics. Painkillers are often antispasmodic. They disrupt the picture of the disease, "smear" its visible manifestations. Therefore, in case of severe pains, do not drink pain pills, but seek immediate medical attention.
Pain in the left side can be caused by various reasons. The unequivocal conclusion is the same: examination and treatment is necessary.
Causes of pain
Since in the left part of the abdomen and under the ribs are important organs of the gastrointestinal tract, pain can cause such diseases:
- Ulcerative colitis.
- Intestinal diverticulosis.
- Inflammation of the urinary organs.
- Diseases of the spleen: volvulus, heart attack, benign and malignant tumors.
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Kidney problems: the appearance of cysts, stones, the development of tumors.
Autoimmune disorders, provoking a malfunction of the entire gastrointestinal tract, which is accompanied by discomfort and painful sensations, especially when food is digested.
In addition, diseases of the cardiovascular system can cause pain in the left side of the abdomen. Because of them, the tissues receive an insufficient amount of oxygen, this causes anemia, which can lead to seizures and pain under the ribs and in the left side of the abdomen.
Male and female genitals differ significantly, this explains the features of reproductive function. Below are purely female pathologies that cause pain in the left side of the abdomen.
Inflammatory process in fallopian tubes
The form of inflammation is acute or chronic. The first is characterized by intense, sharp pain in the lower part of the abdominal area, which goes to the left side, as well as the lower back area, near the tailbone. In addition to pain, a woman experiences symptoms such as deterioration of health, lethargy, irritation, fever. If the process progresses rapidly, vaginal discharge in the form of pus can be observed. In chronic form, the symptoms are less pronounced. Soreness in the lower abdomen appears from time to time, pain is more of a pulling and aching character.
If inflammation is not treated, the result can be the inability to conceive and carry out the child, and the process in case of a weak immune system will shift to all internal organs, which can lead to extremely serious consequences, even death.
Inflammatory process in appendages
In very rare cases, adnexitis appears as an independent disease. Basically, its occurrence is due to the rapid development of inflammation in the tubes of the uterus. It should be noted that even a woman with absolutely no health problems can face the inflammation of the appendages. This is due to the fact that the vaginal mucosa is the habitat of harmful microorganisms that can, if their number increases, cause the development of an inflammatory process that can affect the entire urogenital system.
The form of adnexitis is acute or chronic, in some cases, relapses may occur. Inflammation, which manifested itself for the first time, is accompanied by intense chilling painful sensations in the lower left part of the abdominal region, passing under the ribs.
In the chronic form, pain can occur whenever the immune system is weakened, the feet become wet or frozen, and acute respiratory, viral, or infectious diseases have been experienced.
The risk group for the occurrence of inflammation of the appendages includes women belonging to the following categories:
- Every year, conducting an artificial abortion.
- Using intrauterine contraceptive devices (spiral).
- Pregnant women whose adnexitis may develop due to changes in hormonal levels.
If inflammation of the appendages is not treated promptly, then the consequences can be extremely unfavorable.
Uterine ligament rupture
This phenomenon can occur with women during childbirth, as well as during childbirth. Due to the fact that the weight of the fetus increases, the uterus is forced to experience increased loads. Any unsuccessful movement can cause the connective tissue to break. Lack of elastin and collagen in the body leads to a worsening of the situation - there is muscle stretching under the influence of the load.
Such a pathology in most cases causes a sharp pain in the lower part of the abdominal region, spreading in a wave-like manner under the ribs and into the left half of the body. During gestation and the birth of a child at breaks, internal hemorrhages sometimes occur, due to which an urgent operation is required.
This is a gynecological disease in which endometrial cells (the inner layer of the uterine wall) grow outside this layer. Provocative factors for the development of such a disease can be very much. At the moment, experts can not give an exact answer to the question of why the endometrium grows. This is believed to occur for the following reasons:
- Hormonal disruptions, which suppress the activity of the hormone progesterone.
- Autoimmune pathology.
- Hereditary factor.
- Weakening of the immune system and frequent colds.
In addition, the causes of endometriosis can be diabetes and overweight, treatment of cervical erosion by cauterization, artificial abortion at an early age (up to 18 years), chronic inflammation of the genitourinary system.
Acute symptoms of this pathology are observed in rare cases. Basically, endometriosis makes itself felt with the aching painful sensations to the left under the ribs and the lower part of the abdominal region. An increase in symptoms is noted in ovulation and critical days. The disease can affect a woman's fertility by causing infertility.
A cyst is a benign neoplasm containing fluid and expanding on the ovary. If the left ovary is affected, then, accordingly, the pain will occur in the left side. The size of the tumor and its localization depends on the nature of the pain.
When the cyst is actively growing and expanding, women experience the following clinical manifestations:
- Pulling soreness that encircles the lower part of the abdominal region. Usually, this condition passes by itself
- Pain that increases during menstruation.
- Increase the duration of the cycle.
The maximum severity of pain is noted at the peak of the formation of a cyst, when there is an increased risk that it will break. In this situation, in addition to pain, symptoms such as a general deterioration of health, fever, and the development of a painful shock are possible.
This condition is a sudden developing hemorrhage into the abdominal cavity, due to the fact that the integrity of the ovary is disrupted and it ruptures. This increases the abdomen and there is a sharp pain. On palpation, the patient also experiences pain, sometimes so severe that she may lose consciousness.
The following can lead to apoplexy:
- hormonal imbalance,
- injury to the lower abdomen,
- available chronic inflammation of the urinary organs.
Initially, the clinical manifestations are similar to the symptoms of appendicitis. Pain arises from the left side, the pain is growing, then retreating. It can go over the entire abdomen and lower back.
Pain in the lower abdomen is the basis for visiting a medical facility. There is no need to postpone diagnostic measures, since successful treatment cannot be carried out until the cause of the pain has been accurately determined. If you do not take appropriate measures in a timely manner, the result may be infertility, the development of which is due to the fact that diseases of the genital organs are actively progressing.
The diagnosis is made, thanks to the following measures:
- Examination by a therapist. The doctor assesses the nature and severity of pain by palpation.
- Ultrasound procedure. The procedure allows to determine the condition of the organs, to detect hidden diseases.
- General tests (blood, urine). This type of study allows you to identify inflammation.
- In addition, you may need to visit narrow specialists: a gynecologist, a gastroenterologist, a surgeon.
How to treat
Therapy of all gynecological diseases should be comprehensive. It is required not only to take drugs prescribed by a doctor, but also to observe the rules of intimate hygiene, to refuse sexual contacts for a certain period, to take measures to improve immunity. Treatment can be of the following types:
- Conservative. Assuming medication and doctor's instructions. The main therapy can be supplemented by the use of folk recipes, but only in consultation with your doctor.
- Surgical intervention. The operation is done only in those situations where the condition is life-threatening - if there are internal bleeding, apoplexy, etc.
- Physiotherapy. In the course of such treatment, special devices are used to cure diseases of the female genital organs.
The effectiveness of folk remedies is quite high, especially when the woman’s left side hurts because of the inflammation of the genital organs caused by an infection or bacteria. But they can only be used as a supplement to the main therapy, without fail consulting with the doctor.
What to do when the left side of the abdomen is sick
The occurrence of pain in the lower left part of the abdominal area in a woman can signal that a serious disease develops in the body. Therefore, only the adoption of pain pills - this is not the way out. With the help of such a measure, it is possible only to stop the pain syndrome for some time, but not get rid of the provoking factor that caused it. And sometimes in these situations, taking the drug can even be harmful.
What actions to take if pain arose:
- Stay as comfortable as possible to relieve pain.
- Until the doctor came, you should remember everything that happened before the onset of pain. Help the specialist to establish the diagnosis will be able to even the smallest detail.
- If there was a sharp severe pain that did not pass for more than one hour, as well as other symptoms appeared - the temperature increased, vomiting and upsetting of the chair began, it is necessary to call for urgent help.
- If after two or three days the pain in her side does not pass, the woman should make an appointment with the gynecologist. If, as a result of the examination and other diagnostic measures, gynecological diseases are not identified, consultation with other specialists, such as a surgeon, an infectious disease specialist, and a gastroenterologist, may be required.
- It is not recommended to drink painkillers - because of this, it will be more difficult for the doctor to establish the correct diagnosis.
Even when the pains in the side are not pronounced, but they occur regularly - this should be the basis for visiting the doctor in order to prevent the development of serious diseases in a timely manner.
Other causes of pain
Hirschsprung's disease is a relatively rare disease - it is inherited mainly by boys.
The essence of the pathology - the presence in the large intestine zones without innervation. Therefore, the main violation is the absence of peristalsis in the affected areas, accumulation of fecal masses in them, marked constipation.
The main complaints of patients: constipation, constant distention of the bowel, nagging pain in the left abdomen. The disease is treated only surgically, removing the area unsuitable for digestion.
Crohn's disease - the formation of inflammatory nodules (granulomas) in the intestines and other parts of the digestive tract. The reason is unclear. With inflammation in the descending colon, abdominal pain is localized at the bottom left. Patients have constant fatigue, loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
Inflammation of the internal structures (pelvis, cups) caused by infection. It begins suddenly with fever, vomiting, chills, lower back pain, radiating to the left side of the abdomen. Joins urination, cramps, urinary retention. The pulsation of pain is an unfavorable sign indicating the formation of an abscess in the kidney.
In chronic course, exacerbations are milder, but with the same symptoms. As a result, scars appear on the site of the inflamed tissue, the kidney is deformed, loses its function. Renal failure occurs if the second healthy kidney ceases to work hard, compensating for the diseased organ. The disease is treated by urologists with antibacterial agents, diuretics, if necessary, by opening suppuration or resection of a part of the kidney.
Often accompanied by inflammation of the urinary tract, metabolic disorders. It is caused by precipitation of crystalline sediment in the urine, its sedimentation in the pelvis and gluing to stones. The composition of the most common phosphates, oxalates, urates.
The stone causes a disturbance in the process of outflow of urine, therefore stagnation and spreading is formed in the higher parts. The movement of calculus along the ureter explains why the lower abdomen hurts. Clinically, after shaking and running, the patient has an attack of renal colic.
The pain is very intense in character, cutting. Localized in the lower back or to the left of the navel. There is an acute urinary retention. The duration of the attack - up to several hours. For emergency care, pain medications, antispasmodics are injected. Frequent repetition of attacks - the indication for rapid extraction of the stone.
Pain manifestations in gynecological pathology
Since the uterus is an unpaired organ, pains during its inflammation and endometriosis spread from the suprapubic zone both to the left and to the right, it is possible to isolate only left-sided localization for diseases of the left appendage.
Inflammation of the ovary is provoked by hypothermia, heavy physical work. The cause is infection. Chronic disease is accompanied by constant aching pains in the lower abdomen on the left, fever. Increases during intercourse, during menstruation. A long process leads to the formation of adhesions.
Volumetric hollow formation from the left ovary may have a narrow base (leg). In the presence of a cyst, women note that before an acute attack ache in the left side was "tolerable." Torsion causes intense pain to the left in the iliac region, in the side. Against the background of an attack, a cyst rupture is possible with the appearance of local peritoneal symptoms. Treatment in gynecology is only operative.
The disease is manifested by an attack of gradually increasing pain in the left side of the abdomen, below, nausea and vomiting. Preceded by monthly delay. The lack of measures leads to rupture of the left tube, peritonitis and multiple adhesions. The woman becomes infertile, because the egg does not pass into the uterus.
Allen Masters Syndrome
The disease manifests itself in women in the postpartum period. It consists in the rupture of the uterine ligaments in difficult childbirth. Often complicates abortion. The patient appears cramping pain, they are localized in the lower abdomen, sometimes only to the left or in the area of the anus. Strengthened by straining.
The pain is burning in nature, radiating to the left half of the abdomen. During a digital examination, the gynecologist reveals excessive mobility of the cervix, pain when pressure is applied to the abdominal wall.
What kind of pain causes left hip disease?
The hip joint is the largest in the body. Pathology affects bone surfaces and cartilage, adjacent muscles, tendons, nerves and blood vessels.
The most common causes of pain in the hip joint with irradiation in the lower abdomen are:
- inflammation (arthritis) is infectious and autoimmune,
- inflammation in the periarticular bag (bursitis),
- degenerative disorders in bone tissue, osteoarthritis or coxarthrosis,
- fractures and sprains,
- aseptic necrosis in the femoral head,
All diseases are expressed in the strengthening of pain in the joint with emphasis on the left leg, walking. The doctor will note the deformation of the articular surfaces, shortening of the left leg. The diagnosis is confirmed by x-ray method. Used tomographic sections at different depths.
Diagnosis of pain syndrome on the left in the long-term lower abdomen is very insidious, because it is necessary to assume and rule out many diseases. Therefore, the doctor should not focus only on the clinic and patient complaints.
Reliable data gives the survey, the use of laboratory and hardware techniques. Patients who feel pain in the abdomen on the left should rely only on the conclusion of a specialist and not try to get rid of them on their own.
Hurts stomach lower left: possible causes
The abdominal cavity contains many of the vital organs of man. In particular, on the left side is the spleen, large and small intestines and organs of the genitourinary system. And in each of these organs a malfunction can occur - they become inflamed, injured, deformed, tumors develop on them, etc. Most of the diseases and conditions that produce left-sided abdominal pain require urgent treatment.
The formation and utilization of blood cells occurs in the spleen. Any pathology of this organ is capable of giving left-sided abdominal pain. In particular, we are talking about such diseases and conditions of the spleen, as:
- Acute enlargement of the spleen - pathology may occur as a result of inflammation or impairment of blood outflow, in any case the patient will be disturbed by pain in the lower abdomen to the left, symptoms may appear in the form of nausea, vomiting, fever.
- Spleen infarction - blockage of the artery and the formation of a necrotic focus surrounding a thrombus, sharp pain appears in the left hypochondrium and goes down, its intensity increases with movement, coughing and even deep breathing, the patient also has a high body temperature (about 39 degrees).
- Inversion of the spleen - sometimes (most often due to the congenital structural features of the human mesenteric ligaments or due to injury) the splenic artery is twisted, thereby causing gradually lowering pain in the left side, pain accompanied by symptoms such as flatulence, constipation, vomiting, worsening general well-being.
- Spleen abscess - potentially life-threatening large abscesses: opening into the abdominal cavity, they cause diffuse pain, which may well be felt in the lower abdomen to the left.
- Lymphocytic leukemia and myeloid leukemia (chronic forms) - the oncology of the blood-forming organs begins painlessly, but as the tumor grows, the pain grows: at first they appear after eating and on palpation.
On the part of the intestine, left-side pain in the lower abdomen can occur for various reasons - from banal flatulence to much more serious conditions and diseases:
- Malabsorption - is the inability of the mucous membrane of the small intestine to perceive a certain product (or group of products), for example, fruit or milk, occurs with arching pain in the lower abdomen to the left (due to accumulation of gases) and cramping pain in the same area (as a result of cramps in the vessels and muscles intestinal wall).
- Crohn's disease - nodular inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract is manifested not only by left-side pain in the lower abdomen, but also by vomiting, diarrhea, general fatigue, decreased appetite.
- Irritable bowel syndrome - accompanied by pain that can disturb the left lower abdomen, as well as flatulence, diarrhea or constipation. The disease is characterized by periods of remission and exacerbations.
- Nonspecific ulcerative colitis - occurs with morphological changes in the intestinal walls, accompanied by paroxysmal colic of varying intensity.
- Polyposis - the appearance of benign lesions (polyps) on mucous membranes of certain intestines can provoke left-sided abdominal pain.
- Obstruction of the intestine is accompanied by severe pain, as well as the accumulation of gas in the intestine and constipation, nausea and vomiting, abdominal distention and obvious asymmetry.
- Inversion of the intestines - accompanied by severe paroxysmal pain, which temporarily recede, and then return again, as well as vomiting.
There are a number of reasons that provoke pain in the lower abdomen to the left in women. These include the following ailments:
- Inflammation of the fallopian tubes - in addition to severe pain in the groin (including localization is possible and on the left), patients suffer from vaginal discharge, painful periods and high fever.
- Endometriosis - in this pathology, epithelial cells multiply outside the uterus, and their growth in the intestine is possible.
- Rupture and / or twisting of the ovarian pedicle is a dangerous condition manifested by pains of very high intensity and disturbances in the patient’s general condition: pallor of the skin, pressure drop, fever, vomiting. In this case, the patient needs emergency care.
- Adnexitis and salpingo-oophoritis - inflammation of the appendages is accompanied by acute pains in the lower abdomen, which are aggravated by palpation.
- Ectopic pregnancy is a life-threatening condition for a woman, manifested by cramping pains, the intensity of which gradually increases, in case of rupture of the fallopian tube, the pain becomes intolerable, and the patient needs urgent medical care.
- Allen-Masters syndrome - arises due to rupture of the ligaments of the uterus due to severe or rapid birth, abortion, etc.
Another of the many causes of left-sided pain in the lower abdomen in both men and women from the urogenital system is the expansion of the renal pelvis.
The classification of pain: what it can be
Left-side pains in the lower abdomen may have a different character, according to which one can suspect the development of a particular disease.
Dull pain usually accompanies one-sided “female” diseases. If dull pain is combined with fever, fatigue, general weakness, then most likely it is about inflammatory pathologies.
Pulling left-side pain is usually characteristic of purulent pathologies of the pelvic organs, it occurs when the ligaments stretch in the groin and strangulated hernias, as well as accompanying oncological diseases (in this case, its intensity increases with time).
Sharp pains in the left lower abdomen are caused by spasms, passage of uralites through the urinary tract, rupture of the inguinal ligaments, inflammations, rupture of the ovary, expansion of the renal pelvis or bladder.
Stitching pain can be a harbinger of ovarian rupture, a consequence of bowel distention with gases, a companion of kidney disease, or ulceration of the mucous membranes of the urethra or ureters.
In any case, the presence of such pain should be the basis for seeking help from a doctor. At the same time, it is important to pay attention to the accompanying symptoms - increased body temperature, diarrhea, vomiting, pallor, lethargy, etc. It is necessary to inform a specialist about them - this information will be useful for making an accurate diagnosis.
What to do pains in the lower abdomen to the left?
Left-side abdominal pain can not be ignored. They may indicate a developing acute pathology requiring emergency medical care. Therefore, taking painkillers to relieve pain in this case is not an option. The reason is not going anywhere, and blunted sensations can complicate diagnosis.
Sensing the pain of any intensity and any nature of the left lower abdomen, you must act as follows:
- Ensure peace and take the most comfortable position in which the pain is not felt or, at least, does not increase.
- Assess pain from the perspective of existing chronic diseases, the state of the body as a whole and other symptoms present (pregnancy, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, etc.).
- In the event of the initial occurrence of pain (if a person has never experienced such sensations in the lower abdomen to the left), it is recommended to call an ambulance.
- If the pain has already declared itself before, the patient can decide on whether to seek emergency medical care on their own - call an ambulance if there is a clear deterioration of the condition, call the local doctor in the house if the condition is stable, or go to the clinic for a referral for a short-term attack. .
It is important to remember that even if the intensity of the pain in the lower abdomen on the left is not high, this feeling may indicate the development of a serious disease.
Treatment of lower abdominal pain
Of course, the treatment itself is not aimed at relieving pain, but at eliminating its cause. Very often, patients suffering from left-sided abdominal pain require emergency medical care and hospitalization. Treatment can be either conservative (with the help of various drugs) or surgical.
The most common patients with left-sided abdominal pain are doctors of the following specialties:
- infectious diseases
As a rule, for making an accurate diagnosis, it is necessary to examine and interview a patient, laboratory analyzes of blood and urine, analyzes of enzymes of the liver and pancreas, as well as radiographic, ultrasound and endoscopic examinations. Based on the results of the examination, an individual plan of therapeutic measures is developed for each patient.